These data may be useful to clinicians in gaining insight on the potential risks of cannabis use among their patients with anxiety or mood disorders.
Across adult age categories, there was an increase in the prevalence of daily cannabis use after 2007.
The association of cannabis use with symptoms of psychosis underscores the need for targeted cannabis use prevention.
Cannabis use is associated with psychosis symptoms during adolescence.
Researchers emphasized the necessity of developing targeted interventions to address such health disparities among American Indian communities.
A substantial proportion of these individuals diagnosed with HIV, psychiatric disorders, and substance use disorders are out of care and urgently require intervention.
Patients who use medical marijuana may be more likely to use prescription drugs for both medical and nonmedical purposes.
These data may be helpful in titrating care for those with schizotypal disorder and comorbid substance abuse disorders to mitigate the risk for conversion to schizophrenia.
Mortality rates decreased for alcohol use disorders, self-harm, and interpersonal violence between 1980 and 2014. Mortality rates for drug use disorders increased both nationally and in each county over the same period.
The investigators found that antisocial (β=0.23) and borderline (β=0.20) personality disorders were strongly associated with cannabis use as well as with cannabis use disorder.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Distinct Characteristics in Children at Risk for Schizophrenia vs Bipolar Disorder
- Nonstimulants May Be an Appropriate Alternative to Stimulants for Treating ADHD
- Psychotic Experiences Associated With Increased Risk for Eating Disorders in Adolescents
- Novel Parent-Child Interaction Therapy Targets Preschool-Aged Depression
- Remission of Treatment-Resistant Depression in Veterans Depends on Close Clinical Observation
- Medical Clearance of Psych Patients in the ED: Consensus Recommendations
- From Abused Child to Serial Killer: Investigating Nature vs Nurture in Methods of Murder
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Effective in Reducing Suicide Attempts, Self-Harm in Adolescents
- Should Physicians Treat Family and Friends? Three Experts Weigh In
- Classification Models for Diagnosing Schizophrenia With MRI Neuroimaging
- Sodium Valproate May Lower Amygdala Volume in Pediatric Bipolar Disorder
- Putting Patients in the Physician's Seat: Smartphone Technology Is Changing the Healthcare Landscape
- Unhealthy Food Behaviors May Signal Eating Disorder in Teens
- As Immigration Policies Tighten, Physician Shortage Concerns Grow