Adults aged 18 to 34 had the highest frequency of marijuana use compared with all other age groups. A small percentage of respondents reported using multiple different forms of marijuana per year.
Experimental studies have shown that the primary psychoactive ingredient in cannabis can induce psychotic symptoms in otherwise healthy individuals.
Overall, 14.6% of US adults report marijuana use in the past year.
Physicians play an important role in educating individuals about the risks of impaired driving caused by marijuana or opioids.
Marijuana use is associated with increased cough and sputum production. Limited data exists to assess the relationship between marijuana use and pulmonary function and obstructive lung disease.
Senator Elizabeth Warren introduced a bipartisan bill in June 2018 (S.3032) that would exempt most marijuana-related activities from the Controlled Substances Act when they are allowed under state or tribal law.
These data suggest that marijuana use, particularly non-medical use, is associated with poorer depression and anxiety outcomes in psychiatric patients.
Marijuana usage is increasing in adolescents, and the rate of comorbidity with mood and anxiety disorders is high. These findings may aid in identifying adolescents who are potentially at risk.
Users of synthetic marijuana products and health care providers should be aware of the risk of bleeding associated with contamination of synthetic cannabinoid products with brodifacoum.
Most US adults believe that marijuana has at least 1 benefit.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Mental Health Problems in Adolescents With HIV: Overview & Expert Interview
- Should Physicians Play a Role in Minimizing the Societal Cost of Medical Care?
- Digital Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Effective for Individuals With Insomnia
- How Do Medical Scribes Reduce EHR Documentation Burden for Physicians?