Generic Name and Formulations:
Caspofungin acetate 50mg, 70mg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for CANCIDAS:
Presumed fungal infections in febrile neutropenia, as empiric therapy. Candida infections of the esophagus, blood, peritoneum, intraabdominal abscess, pleural space. Invasive aspergillosis in patients refractory to or intolerant of other therapies (not for initial therapy).
Give by slow IV infusion over 1hr. ≥18yrs: Esophageal candidiasis: 50mg once daily. Other Candida infections, aspergillosis, or empiric: 70mg once on Day 1 then 50mg daily. Empiric: treat for at least 14 days; continue for at least 7 more days after resolution of neutropenia and clinical symptoms; may increase to 70mg/day. All others: continue at least 14 days after last positive culture. Moderate hepatic impairment: 35mg daily (may give 70mg on Day 1 when indicated). Concomitant rifampin: 70mg once daily. Concomitant other CYP inducers (eg, nevirapine, efavirenz, carbamazepine, dexamethasone, phenytoin): consider 70mg once daily.
<3months: not established. Give by slow IV infusion over 1hr. 3mos–17yrs: 70mg/m2 once on Day 1, then 50mg/m2 daily. May increase to 70mg/m2 daily; max 70mg. Empiric: treat for at least 14 days; continue for at least 7 more days after resolution of neutropenia and clinical symptoms. All others: continue at least 14 days after last positive culture. Concomitant rifampin: 70mg/m2 once daily. Concomitant other CYP inducers (eg, nevirapine, efavirenz, carbamazepine, dexamethasone, phenytoin): consider 70mg/m2 once daily.
Severe hepatic impairment. Monitor liver function tests. Discontinue at 1st sign of a hypersensitivity reaction and treat appropriately. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Elevated liver enzymes with concomitant cyclosporine. Antagonizes tacrolimus; monitor levels. Antagonized by potent CYP3A4 and other CYP inducers (see Adults and Children).
Glucan synthesis inhibitor (echinocandin).
Diarrhea, pyrexia, chills, rash, increased alkaline phosphatase and ALT/AST, hypokalemia, anaphylaxis, histamine-mediated symptoms. Children: also hypotension.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder