Generic Name and Formulations:
Caspofungin acetate 50mg, 70mg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for CANCIDAS:
Presumed fungal infections in febrile neutropenia, as empiric therapy. Candida infections of the esophagus, blood, peritoneum, intraabdominal abscess, pleural space. Invasive aspergillosis in patients refractory to or intolerant of other therapies (not for initial therapy).
Give by slow IV infusion over 1hr. ≥18yrs: Esophageal candidiasis: 50mg once daily. Other Candida infections, aspergillosis, or empiric: 70mg once on Day 1 then 50mg daily. Empiric: treat for at least 14 days; continue for at least 7 more days after resolution of neutropenia and clinical symptoms; may increase to 70mg/day. All others: continue at least 14 days after last positive culture. Moderate hepatic impairment: 35mg daily (may give 70mg on Day 1 when indicated). Concomitant rifampin: 70mg once daily. Concomitant other CYP inducers (eg, nevirapine, efavirenz, carbamazepine, dexamethasone, phenytoin): consider 70mg once daily.
<3months: not established. Give by slow IV infusion over 1hr. 3mos–17yrs: 70mg/m2 once on Day 1, then 50mg/m2 daily. May increase to 70mg/m2 daily; max 70mg. Empiric: treat for at least 14 days; continue for at least 7 more days after resolution of neutropenia and clinical symptoms. All others: continue at least 14 days after last positive culture. Concomitant rifampin: 70mg/m2 once daily. Concomitant other CYP inducers (eg, nevirapine, efavirenz, carbamazepine, dexamethasone, phenytoin): consider 70mg/m2 once daily.
Severe hepatic impairment. Monitor liver function tests. Discontinue at 1st sign of a hypersensitivity reaction and treat appropriately. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Elevated liver enzymes with concomitant cyclosporine. Antagonizes tacrolimus; monitor levels. Antagonized by potent CYP3A4 and other CYP inducers (see Adults and Children).
Glucan synthesis inhibitor (echinocandin).
Diarrhea, pyrexia, chills, rash, increased alkaline phosphatase and ALT/AST, hypokalemia, anaphylaxis, histamine-mediated symptoms. Children: also hypotension.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders