Generic Name and Formulations:
Mesalamine 1g; supps.
Indications for CANASA:
Mild-to-moderately active ulcerative proctitis.
Retain supp in rectum for at least 1–3hrs. 1g once daily at bedtime. Treat for 3–6 weeks.
Sulfasalazine or aspirin allergy. Renal or hepatic impairment. Evaluate renal function before starting and periodically during therapy. Monitor for acute intolerance syndrome; discontinue if suspected. May stain clothes. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant nephrotoxic agents (eg, NSAIDs) may increase risk of renal effects; monitor. Concomitant azathioprine or 6-mercaptopurine may increase risk of blood disorders; if unavoidable, monitor CBCs and platelets. May interfere with measurements by liquid chromatography of urinary normetanephrine; consider other alternative assay.
Dizziness, rectal pain, fever, rash, acne, colitis, headache, flatulence, abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea; mesalamine-induced acute intolerance syndrome, hypersensitivity reactions (including myocarditis, pericarditis, pneumonitis, hematologic abnormalities), renal or hepatic failure.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders