Generic Name and Formulations:
Alemtuzumab 30mg/mL; soln; for IV infusion after dilution; preservative-free.
Sanofi Genzyme Company
Indications for CAMPATH:
B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia (B-CLL).
Premedicate with antihistamine and acetaminophen before 1st dose, and at dose escalations. Give by IV infusion over 2 hrs. Initially 3mg per day until infusion reactions are ≤ grade 2, then increase to 10mg per day until infusion reactions are ≤ grade 2, then to maintenance 30mg/day three times per week (on alternate days); duration of therapy (including escalation): 12 weeks. Do not exceed max single dose 30mg/dose or 90mg/week. Give prophylactic antibiotics and antivirals during treatment and for at least 2 months after completion or until CD4+ counts resolve (whichever occurs later). Dose adjustments for neutropenia and thrombocytopenia: see literature. Retitrate if therapy interrupted for ≥7 days.
Discontinue dose for autoimmune or recurrent/persistent severe cytopenias (except lymphopenia). Withhold dose for severe cytopenias (except lymphopenia), grade 3 or 4 infusion reactions, serious infections, or during antiviral treatment for cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection or confirmed CMV viremia. Obtain CBCs, platelet counts weekly, assess CD4+ counts after treatment until recovery to ≥200cells/µL. Monitor for infusion reactions; CMV infection (continue for 2 months after therapy ends). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid live virus vaccines (after recent therapy). May interfere with tests using antibodies. Irradiate any blood products given (GVHD may occur).
Monoclonal antibody, CD52 (recombinant, humanized).
See full labeling. Infusion reactions, cytopenias (eg, neutropenia, lymphopenia, thrombocytopenia, anemia), infections (eg, CMV), GI upset, insomnia, anxiety; others.
Single-use vials—1, 3
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder