Calcitriol Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Calcitriol 1mcg/mL; soln for IV inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Calcitriol Injection:
Hypocalcemia in patients on chronic renal dialysis. Secondary hyperparathyroidism.
≥13yrs: Initially 1–2mcg (0.02mcg/kg) 3 times weekly (approx. every other day); usual range: 0.5–4mcg 3 times weekly. May increase by 0.5–1mcg at 2–4 week intervals. Adjust dose based on PTH levels: see full labeling.
<13yrs: not recommended.
Hypercalcemia. Vit. D toxicity.
Avoid concurrent Vit. D therapy. Maintain adequate calcium intake. Keep serum calcium times phosphate (Ca x P) product below 70. Monitor serum calcium and phosphorus twice weekly at start of therapy, and during dose adjustment. Monitor magnesium, alkaline phosphatase, parathyroid hormone levels (PTH) periodically; if PTH levels fall <1.5–3xULN, reduce calcitriol dose or discontinue. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Hypermagnesemia with magnesium-containing antacids. Arrhythmias with digitalis if hypercalcemia occurs.
Vit. D analog.
Symptoms of hypervitaminosis D, hypercalcemia, hypercalciuria, hyperphosphatemia.
Formerly known under the brand name Calcijex.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder