Generic Name and Formulations:
Calcitonin-salmon (rDNA origin) 200 IU/spray; nasal spray.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Calcitonin-salmon:
Limitations Of use:
Not shown to increase BMD in early postmenopausal women.
1 spray (200Units) in alternating nostrils daily.
Correct hypocalcemia and other disorders (eg, Vit. D deficiency) prior to initiating; monitor serum calcium during therapy. Supplement diet with calcium (1g/day) and Vit. D (400 IU/day); reevaluate periodically. Seizures. Do periodic nasal exams; discontinue if severe nasal ulceration occurs. Increased risk of malignancies. Pregnancy (Cat.C), nursing mothers: not recommended.
May antagonize lithium; adjust dose.
Rhinitis, epistaxis, other nasal symptoms, back pain, arthralgia, headache; hypersensitivity reactions, antibody formation.
Formerly known under the brand name Fortical or Miacalcin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children