CALAN SR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Verapamil HCl 120mg, 180mg+, 240mg+; sust-rel caplets; +scored.
Indications for CALAN SR:
Take with food. Initially 180mg in the AM; may titrate to max 480mg/day in divided doses. Elderly or small patients: initially 120mg in the AM.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Severe left ventricular (LV) dysfunction or LV dysfunction treated with β-blockers. Moderate to severe heart failure. Hypotension. Cardiogenic shock. Sick sinus syndrome, 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block, unless paced. Atrial flutter or fibrillation and an accessory bypass tract.
Control mild heart failure (eg, with digitalis, diuretics). AV conduction or neuromuscular transmission disorders. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Monitor liver function. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (diphenylalkylamine).
Potentiates alcohol, β-blockers, other antihypertensives, digitalis, theophylline, neuromuscular blockers, flecainide, carbamazepine, cyclosporine, lovastatin (limit to max 40mg/day), simvastatin (limit to max 10mg/day), atorvastatin (use lower doses). Potentiated by grapefruit juice. Avoid ivabradine, disopyramide; quinidine in cardiomyopathy. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin, ritonavir); antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, phenobarbital, rifampin). Inhalation anesthetics may potentiate cardiac depression. May increase bleeding with aspirin. Monitor theophylline, lithium. Concomitant mTOR inhibitors (eg, sirolimus, temsirolimus, everolimus); consider dose reductions of both drugs. Monitor heart rate with concomitant clonidine.
Constipation, dizziness, nausea, hypotension, headache, edema, CHF, fatigue, dyspnea, bradycardia, AV block, rash, flushing, elevated hepatic enzymes, paralytic ileus.
Calan 40mg—100; 80mg—100, 500, 1000; 120mg—100, 1000; SR 120mg, 180mg—100; SR 240mg—100, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Suicide Attempt Risk Among LGB Populations Higher Than Previously Estimated
- Residents Should Take Advantage of Paid Time Off
- Outpatient Engagement May Lower Suicide Attempts in Patients With Fibromyalgia
- Prevalence of Alzheimer Disease, Related Dementia Set to Double
- Forms of Childhood Adversity Related to First-Episode Psychosis Outcomes