CALAN SR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Verapamil HCl 120mg, 180mg+, 240mg+; sust-rel caplets; +scored.
Indications for CALAN SR:
Take with food. Initially 180mg in the AM; may titrate to max 480mg/day in divided doses. Elderly or small patients: initially 120mg in the AM.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Severe left ventricular (LV) dysfunction or LV dysfunction treated with β-blockers. Moderate to severe heart failure. Hypotension. Cardiogenic shock. Sick sinus syndrome, 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block, unless paced. Atrial flutter or fibrillation and an accessory bypass tract.
Control mild heart failure (eg, with digitalis, diuretics). AV conduction or neuromuscular transmission disorders. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Monitor liver function. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates alcohol, β-blockers, other antihypertensives, digitalis, theophylline, neuromuscular blockers, flecainide, carbamazepine, cyclosporine, lovastatin (limit to max 40mg/day), simvastatin (limit to max 10mg/day), atorvastatin (use lower doses). Potentiated by grapefruit juice. Avoid ivabradine, disopyramide; quinidine in cardiomyopathy. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin, ritonavir); antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, phenobarbital, rifampin). Inhalation anesthetics may potentiate cardiac depression. May increase bleeding with aspirin. Monitor theophylline, lithium. Concomitant mTOR inhibitors (eg, sirolimus, temsirolimus, everolimus); consider dose reductions of both drugs. Monitor heart rate with concomitant clonidine.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (diphenylalkylamine).
Constipation, dizziness, nausea, hypotension, headache, edema, CHF, fatigue, dyspnea, bradycardia, AV block, rash, flushing, elevated hepatic enzymes, paralytic ileus.
Calan 40mg—100; 80mg—100, 500, 1000; 120mg—100, 1000; SR 120mg, 180mg—100; SR 240mg—100, 500
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?