CAFCIT INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Caffeine citrate 20mg/mL (equivalent to caffeine base 10mg/mL); soln for IV infusion; preservative-free.
Indications for CAFCIT INJECTION:
Short-term treatment of apnea of prematurity in infants 28 to <33 weeks gestational age.
Use a syringe infusion pump when infusing. Loading dose: 20mg/kg caffeine citrate by IV infusion once (over 30 minutes); then, beginning 24 hours after loading dose: maintenance 5mg/kg caffeine citrate by IV infusion every 24 hours (over 10 minutes). Adjust based on response and serum caffeine levels.
Measure baseline serum caffeine levels in infants previously treated with theophylline (or aminophylline) and in infants born to mothers who consumed caffeine prior to delivery. Serious toxicity may occur with serum caffeine levels >50mg/L. Exclude or treat other causes of apnea. Seizure disorders. Cardiovascular disease. Monitor caffeine levels in impaired renal or hepatic function; adjust dose to avoid toxicity. Monitor serum glucose levels and for necrotizing enterocolitis. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Avoid concominant theophylline, aminophylline (increased toxicity). May be potentiated by cimetidine, ketoconazole, others (may need to reduce caffeine dose). May be antagonized by phenobarbital, phenytoin, others (may need to increase caffeine dose). Caution with CYP1A2 substrates, inhibitors, or inducers.
CNS stimulation, cardiovascular or GI effects, increased gastric aspirate, feeding intolerance, hypo- or hyperglycemia, hemorrhage, acidosis, sepsis, lung edema, dyspnea, renal effects (eg, diuresis, renal failure), necrotizing enterocolitis.
Single-use vial (3mL)—1; Oral soln (3mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Gestational Diabetes Associated With Increased Risk for Postpartum Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Smartphone-Based Psychoeducational Programs May Be Effective for Bipolar Disorder Management
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Risk Factors for Recurrent Suicide Attempts in Substance Use Disorder Outpatients