Generic Name and Formulations:
Nebivolol (as HCl) 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg, 20mg; tabs.
Indications for BYSTOLIC:
≥18yrs: initially 5mg once daily. Individualize; may increase at 2-week intervals; max 40mg/day. Severe renal or moderate hepatic impairment: initially 2.5mg once daily.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Severe hepatic impairment (Child-Pugh >B). Severe bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Cardiogenic shock. Overt heart failure. Sick sinus syndrome (unless paced).
CHF. Angina. Recent MI. Bronchospastic disease. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Severe renal impairment. Moderate hepatic impairment. Avoid abrupt cessation (taper over 1–2 weeks). Surgery. Peripheral vascular disease. Pheochromocytoma. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with phenylalkylamine and benzothiazepine calcium channel blockers (eg, verapamil, diltiazem), antiarrhythmics (eg, disopyramide), digoxin, reserpine, guanethidine; monitor. May be potentiated by CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, quinidine, propafenone, paroxetine, fluoxetine); may need to reduce dose. If on both nebivolol and clonidine, discontinue nebivolol before tapering clonidine. May block epinephrine.
Headache, fatigue, dizziness, GI upset.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders