Generic Name and Formulations:
Nebivolol (as HCl) 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg, 20mg; tabs.
Indications for BYSTOLIC:
≥18yrs: initially 5mg once daily. Individualize; may increase at 2-week intervals; max 40mg/day. Severe renal or moderate hepatic impairment: initially 2.5mg once daily.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Severe hepatic impairment (Child-Pugh >B). Severe bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Cardiogenic shock. Overt heart failure. Sick sinus syndrome (unless paced).
CHF. Angina. Recent MI. Bronchospastic disease. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Severe renal impairment. Moderate hepatic impairment. Avoid abrupt cessation (taper over 1–2 weeks). Surgery. Peripheral vascular disease. Pheochromocytoma. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with phenylalkylamine and benzothiazepine calcium channel blockers (eg, verapamil, diltiazem), antiarrhythmics (eg, disopyramide), digoxin, reserpine, guanethidine; monitor. May be potentiated by CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, quinidine, propafenone, paroxetine, fluoxetine); may need to reduce dose. If on both nebivolol and clonidine, discontinue nebivolol before tapering clonidine. May block epinephrine.
Headache, fatigue, dizziness, GI upset.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age