Generic Name and Formulations:
Exenatide 250mcg/mL; soln for SC inj; contains m-cresol and mannitol.
Indications for BYETTA:
Adjunct to diet and excercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes.
Limitations Of use:
Not a substitute for insulin. Not for treating type 1 diabetes or ketoacidosis. Not studied in combination with prandial insulin or with a history of pancreatitis.
Give by SC inj into thigh, abdomen, or upper arm within 60 mins before AM and PM meals (or before the 2 main meals of the day, approx. ≥6hrs apart). Initially 5mcg twice daily; may increase to 10mcg twice daily after 1 month. Moderate renal impairment (CrCl 30–50mL/min): caution when initiating or escalating doses from 5mcg to 10mcg.
History of pancreatitis; consider other antidiabetic therapies. Monitor for pancreatitis; if suspected, promptly discontinue; if confirmed, do not restart. Do not reuse or share pens or needles between patients. Severe GI disorders, renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min), end-stage renal disease: not recommended. Renal transplantation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concurrent prandial insulin: not recommended. Increased risk of hypoglycemia with concomitant sulfonylurea, insulin, or other insulin secretagogues (eg, meglitinides); consider reducing dose of these. May delay absorption of oral drugs (take these 1hr before exenatide). Monitor warfarin.
Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonist.
GI upset, hypoglycemia, feeling jittery, dizziness, headache, dyspepsia, constipation, asthenia, reduced appetite, GERD, hyperhidrosis; antibody formation (glycemic response may be attenuated), pancreatitis (may be fatal), hypersensitivity reactions.
Prefilled pen (needles not included): 5mcg/dose—1 (60 doses); 10mcg/dose—1 (60 doses)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder