Generic Name and Formulations:
Exenatide ext-rel 2mg; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution.
Indications for BYDUREON:
Adjunct to diet and exercise, to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes.
Limitations Of use:
Not recommended as first-line therapy for patients inadequately controlled on diet and exercise. Not a substitute for insulin. Not for treating type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. Not studied in combination with insulin or with history of pancreatitis.
Give by SC inj in abdomen, thigh, or upper arm. Inject immediately after mixing. 2mg once every 7 days (weekly). Changing from Byetta: discontinue, then start Bydureon.
History (personal or family) of medullary thyroid carcinoma. Multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2.
Risk of thyroid C-cell tumors possible; monitor. History of pancreatitis; consider other antidiabetics. Monitor for pancreatitis; discontinue if suspected; do not restart if confirmed. Severe GI disorders, renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min), end-stage renal disease: not recommended. Renal transplantation. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased risk of hypoglycemia with concomitant insulin secretagogues (eg, sulfonylureas) or insulin; may need lower dose of these. May delay absorption of oral drugs. Monitor warfarin.
Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonist.
Nausea, diarrhea, headache, vomiting, constipation, dyspepsia, inj site reactions; possible antibody formation (glycemic response may be attenuated), pancreatitis (may be fatal), hypersensitivity reactions.
Single-dose trays—4 (each contains 1 vial, 1 prefilled syringe with diluent, vial connector and custom needles); Single-dose pens—4 (each contains 1 Bydureon Pen and 1 custom needle)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder