Butorphanol Nasal Spray CIV
Generic Name and Formulations:
Butorphanol tartrate 1mg/spray; nasal spray.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Butorphanol Nasal Spray:
Pain management when opioid analgesia is appropriate.
≥18 years: initially 1 spray in 1 nostril, repeat after 60–90 minutes if needed (Elderly: 90–120 minutes); may repeat in 3–4 hours. Or, may give 1 spray in each nostril, may repeat after 3–4 hours.
<18 years: not recommended.
Head injury. Increased intracranial pressure. Biliary tract surgery. Respiratory, cardiac, renal, or hepatic dysfunction. MI. Ventricular dysfunction. Coronary insufficiency. Hypertension. May precipitate withdrawal in narcotic addicts. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Nasal vasoconstrictors delay onset. May be antagonized by concomitant (within 30 minutes) sumatriptan nasal spray.
Sedation, dizziness, nasal congestion, insomnia, GI upset, respiratory depression, sweating, hypo- or hypertension, rash, vasodilation, palpitation, tinnitus, respiratory and CNS effects.
Formerly known under the brand name Stadol NS.
Nasal Spray 2.5mL (8–15 sprays)—Contact supplier.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder