Generic Name and Formulations:
Busulfan 6mg/mL; soln for IV administration after dilution.
Otsuka America Pharmaceutical, Inc.
Indications for BUSULFEX:
In combination with cyclophosphamide, as a conditioning regimen prior to allogeneic hematopoietic progenitor cell transplantation for chronic myelogenous leukemia.
See full labeling. Premedicate with anticonvulsants and antiemetics. Give by IV infusion over 2 hours. 0.8mg/kg of ideal body weight or actual body weight, whichever is lower, every 6 hours for 4 days for total of 16 doses (on Days -7, -6, -5, and -4). Give cyclophosphamide after the 16th dose of busulfan (Days -3 and -2). Give hematopoietic progenitor cells on Day 0. Obese: base dose on adjusted ideal body weight.
See full labeling.
Risk of severe and prolonged myelosuppression; requires hematopoietic progenitor cell transplantation. Seizure disorder. Head trauma. Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor CBCs with differential, platelet counts, liver enzymes, bilirubin during treatment and until recovery. Monitor for infection and bleeding. Embryo-fetal toxicity. Pregnancy. Use effective contraception during and after treatment. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by itraconazole and acetaminophen. May be antagonized by phenytoin. Caution with potentially epileptogenic drugs.
Myelosuppression, nausea, stomatitis, vomiting, anorexia, diarrhea, insomnia, fever, hypomagnesemia, abdominal pain, anxiety, headache, hyperglycemia, hypokalemia; seizures (with higher doses), hepatic veno-occlusive disease (with high AUC), cardiac tamponade (in pediatric patients with thalassemia), cellular dysplasia; rare: bronchopulmonary dysplasia with pulmonary fibrosis.
Single-use vials (10mL)—8
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder