Generic Name and Formulations:
Buspirone HCl 5mg, 10mg, 15mg+, 30mg+; scored (+bi/trisected) tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Buspirone:
Take consistently with regard to food. Initially 7.5mg twice daily, may increase by 5mg/day every 2–3 days. Usual range: 20–30mg/day; max 60mg/day.
<6yrs: not recommended. 6–17yrs: doses of 7.5–30mg twice daily have been used.
Severe renal or hepatic impairment: not recommended. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Hypertensive crisis with MAOIs: see Contraindications. Avoid alcohol, large amounts of grapefruit juice. Caution with other CNS drugs. May potentiate haloperidol, diazepam, nefazodone. Potentiated by nefazodone, verapamil, diltiazem, erythromycin, itraconazole, ketoconazole, ritonavir, other CYP3A4 inhibitors (use lower initial dose). Antagonized by rifampin, dexamethasone, phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine, other CYP3A4 inducers.
Dizziness, GI upset, headache, nervousness, CNS or emotional effects, nonspecific chest pain, tinnitus, dream disturbances.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder