BUPHENYL TABLETS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium phenylbutyrate 500mg; contains sodium 62mg/tab.
Indications for BUPHENYL TABLETS:
Adjunct in the chronic management of urea cycle disorders involving deficiencies of carbamylphosphate synthetase, ornithine transcarbamylase, or argininosuccinic acid synthetase, including neonatal-onset deficiency and late-onset disease with a history of hyperammonemic encephalopathy.
Adults and Children:
<20kg: use powder. Take in equally divided doses with each meal or feeding. Mix powder with food or liquid. <20kg: 450–600mg/kg/day. ≥20kg: 9.9–13g/m2/day. Max 20g/day.
Restrict dietary protein, may need to supplement with essential amino acids. CHF. Sodium retention with edema. Renal or hepatic insufficiency. Inborn errors of beta oxidation. Monitor serum levels of phenylbutyrate and metabolites, phenylacetate and phenylacetylglutamine. Plasma levels of ammonia, arginine, branched-chain amino acids, serum proteins: maintain within normal levels; plasma glutamine: maintain at <1000μmol/L. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May be potentiated by probenecid. Corticosteroids may increase plasma ammonia levels. Hyperammonemia possible with haloperidol and valproic acid.
Amenorrhea/menstrual dysfunction, acidosis, hypoalbuminemia, anemia, alkalosis, hyperchloremia, hypophosphatemia, increased alkaline phosphatase, increased liver transaminases, leukopenia, leukocytosis, decreased appetite, body odor, bad taste, taste aversion, others.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age