Bumetanide Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Bumetanide 1mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Bumetanide Tablets:
0.5mg–2mg daily; max 10mg daily. Intermittent dosing optimal.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Anuria. Hepatic coma. Severe electrolyte depletion.
Hepatic cirrhosis. Ascites. Sulfonamide allergy. Progressive renal disease. Gout. Diabetes. Postsympathectomy. Monitor electrolytes, blood, liver function. Potassium supplementation may be needed. Potassium-losing nephropathy. Aldosterone excess. Discontinue if renal dysfunction progresses. Ventricular arrhythmias. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May increase digitalis, lithium toxicity. Hypokalemia with digitalis, diuretics in CHF. Alcohol, CNS depressants may increase orthostatic hypotension. Avoid probenecid, indomethacin. Ototoxicity may be potentiated with aminoglycosides.
Muscle cramps, dizziness, hypotension, headache, nausea, encephalopathy, ototoxicity, rash, fluid or electrolyte imbalance, hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand name Bumex.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders