Generic Name and Formulations:
Bromfenac 0.075%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Sun Pharmaceutical Industries
Indications for BROMSITE:
Post-operative inflammation and prevention of ocular pain following cataract surgery.
≥18yrs: 1 drop in affected eye twice daily starting 1 day before surgery, continued on day of surgery, and for 14 days post-op. May be given with other topical ophthalmics (eg, alpha-agonists, beta-blockers, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, cycloplegics, mydriatics); administer at least 5 mins apart.
<18yrs: not established.
Bleeding tendencies. May slow or delay wound healing. Potential for cross-sensitivity to acetylsalicylic acid, phenylacetic acid derivatives, other NSAIDs. Complicated/repeat ocular surgeries. Corneal defects/denervation. Ocular surface diseases. Rheumatoid arthritis. Diabetes. Monitor cornea; discontinue if corneal epithelial breakdown occurs. Risk of corneal adverse events may be increased if used >24hrs before surgery, or beyond 14-days post-op. Contact lenses (remove during therapy). Pregnancy: avoid during late pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant topical NSAIDs and corticosteroids may potentiate healing problems. Caution with concomitant drugs that prolong bleeding time.
Anterior chamber inflammation, headache, vitreous floaters, iritis, eye pain, ocular hypertension; keratitis, corneal reactions (eg, epithelial breakdown, thinning, erosion, ulceration/perforation).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children