Generic Name and Formulations:
Brompheniramine maleate 2mg, pseudoephedrine HCl 30mg, dextromethorphan HBr 10mg; per 5mL; liq; contains alcohol 0.95% v/v; butterscotch flavor.
Indications for BROMFED-DM:
Cough and nasal congestion.
10mL every 4 hrs.
<2yrs: individualize. 2–6yrs: 2.5mL. 6–12yrs: 5mL. Both every 4 hrs. Max 6 doses/24 hours.
Asthma. Lower respiratory disorders. Neonates. Premature infants. Severe hypertension or cardiovascular disease. Within 14 days of MAOIs. Nursing mothers.
Diabetes. History of bronchial asthma. Glaucoma. GI or GU obstruction. Hypertension. Cardiovascular disease. Thyroid disease. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
See Contraindications. Hypertensive crisis with MAOIs. Potentiates alcohol, other CNS depressants. β-blockers may increase pressor effects of sympathomimetics. Antagonizes antihypertensives.
Antihistamine + antitussive + sympathomimetic.
Sedation, dizziness, anticholinergic effects, thickening of bronchial secretions; excitability in children.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders