Generic Name and Formulations:
Brivaracetam 10mg, 25mg, 50mg, 75mg, 100mg; tabs.
Indications for BRIVIACT:
Partial-onset seizures, as monotherapy or adjunctive treatment.
Interchangeable with other forms. Tabs: swallow whole with liquid. Oral soln: use calibrated measuring device. May also give via nasogastric or gastrostomy tube. ≥16yrs: initially 50mg twice daily; may adjust down to 25mg twice daily or up to 100mg twice daily based on response and tolerability. Hepatic impairment: initially 25mg twice daily; max 75mg twice daily. Concomitant rifampin: double brivaracetam dosage.
<16yrs: not established.
Increased risk of suicidal behavior or ideation; monitor for clinical worsening and/or any unusual changes. Monitor for neurological and psychiatric adverse reactions. Discontinue if hypersensitivity reactions occur. Hepatic impairment: adjust dose (see Adult). End-stage renal disease undergoing dialysis: not recommended. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Antagonized by rifampin (see Adult). Concomitant carbamazepine: may consider dose reduction if intolerant. May potentiate phenytoin; monitor phenytoin levels when adding or discontinuing brivaracetam from ongoing therapy. Concomitant levetiracetam: no added benefit.
Somnolence/sedation, dizziness, fatigue, nausea/vomiting; hematologic abnormalities.
To enroll in the North American Antiepileptic Drug Pregnancy Registry call (888) 233-2334.
Tabs—60; Oral soln—300mL; Single-dose vials—10
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder