Generic Name and Formulations:
Ticagrelor 60mg, 90mg; tabs.
Indications for BRILINTA:
To reduce the rate of cardiovascular death, MI, and stroke in patients with acute coronary syndrome (ACS) or history of MI. To reduce the rate of stent thrombosis in patients who have been stented for ACS.
Swallow whole; if unable to swallow, may crush tabs, then mix with water and drink or give via NG tube (CH8 or greater). Initially 180mg loading dose, continue with 90mg twice daily during the first year; after one year, give 60mg twice daily. After the initial loading dose of aspirin, take ticagrelor with maintenance dose of aspirin 75–100mg daily.
History of intracranial hemorrhage. Active pathological bleeding (eg, peptic ulcer, intracranial hemorrhage).
Increased risk of bleeding. Do not start in patients planned to undergo urgent CABG. Premature discontinuation increases risk for CV events (eg, MI, stroke, death). Avoid interruption of treatment; if temporarily discontinued, restart as soon as possible. When possible, interrupt therapy for 5 days prior to surgery (those with major bleeding risk); resume upon hemostasis. Effectiveness reduced with aspirin maintenance dose >100mg; avoid. History of sick sinus syndrome, 2nd or 3rd-degree AV block or bradycardia-related syncope without a pacemaker: increased risk of bradyarrhythmias. Moderate hepatic impairment. Severe hepatic impairment: avoid. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant other oral P2Y12 platelet inhibitor: not recommended. Avoid concomitant strong CYP3A inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, voriconazole, clarithromycin, nefazodone, ritonavir, saquinavir, nelfinavir, indinavir, atazanavir, telithromycin) or potent CYP3A inducers (eg, rifampin, phenytoin, carbamazepine, phenobarbital). Potentiates simvastatin, lovastatin; avoid >40mg/day doses. Monitor digoxin during ticagrelor initiation and dose adjustments.
P2Y12 platelet inhibitor (cyclopentyltriazolopyrimidine).
Bleeding (may be fatal), dyspnea (consider other alternatives if intolerable), dizziness, nausea, diarrhea; ventricular pauses.
Tabs 60mg—60; 90mg—14, 60
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments