BONTRIL PDM CIII
Generic Name and Formulations:
Phendimetrazine tartrate 35mg; scored tabs.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for BONTRIL PDM:
Short-term adjunct in managing exogenous obesity.
35mg 2 or 3 times daily, 1 hour before meals; may reduce to 17.5mg/dose. Max 210mg/day in 3 evenly divided doses.
Advanced arteriosclerosis. Cardiovascular disease. Moderate or severe hypertension. Hyperthyroidism. Glaucoma. Highly nervous or agitated states. Drug or alcohol abuse. Concomitant CNS stimulants. During or within 14 days of MAOIs (see Interactions).
Discontinue after a few weeks as tolerance to anorectic effect occurs. Avoid abrupt cessation after prolonged high doses. Mild hypertension. Abuse and dependence potential. Diabetes. Reevaluate after drug-free interval. Prescribe minimal supply to avoid overdose. Pregnancy.
Hypertensive crisis with MAOIs. May antagonize guanethidine. CNS effects with alcohol, other CNS drugs.
Palpitation, tachycardia, hypertension, CNS overstimulation, dry mouth, GI disturbances, urinary frequency, changes in libido.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Impairment May Predict Persistent Psychosis in Ketamine Users
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders