Generic Name and Formulations:
Ibandronate (as sodium) 150mg; tabs.
Indications for BONIVA:
Prevention and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis.
Limitations Of use:
Optimal duration of use has not been determined. For patients at low-risk for fracture: consider drug discontinuation after 3–5yrs.
Swallow whole. Take in the AM with plain (not mineral) water (6–8oz), at least 60mins before the first food, drink, or medication of the day; do not lie down for at least 60mins after. 150mg once monthly (take on the same day each month). If dose is missed, do not take two 150mg tablets within the same week.
Hypocalcemia. Tabs: Esophagus abnormalities which delay esophageal emptying (eg, stricture, achalasia). Inability to stand or sit upright for at least 60mins.
Active upper GI disease; discontinue and reevaluate if signs/symptoms of esophageal reaction occur. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min): not recommended. Correct preexisting hypocalcemia, other mineral or bone disturbances before starting. Risk of osteonecrosis of the jaw; consider discontinuing therapy during invasive dental procedures (eg, tooth extraction, implants, surgery). History of bisphosphonate exposure: evaluate for atypical fractures if thigh/groin pain develops; consider withholding therapy until risk/benefit assessment. Ensure adequate Vit. D and calcium intake. Reevaluate periodically. Inj: check renal function before each dose. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Calcium, aluminum, magnesium, other multivalent cations reduce absorption (separate dosing by at least 60mins). Caution with aspirin, NSAIDs, other GI irritants. May interfere with bone-imaging agents. Inj: concomitant nephrotoxic agents; monitor for renal toxicity.
Back pain, dyspepsia, pain in extremity, diarrhea, headache, myalgia; musculoskeletal pain (discontinue if severe), esophagitis, esophageal or gastric ulcer, jaw osteonecrosis, atypical femur fractures. Inj: inj site reactions, flu-like syndrome, anaphylaxis.
Blister pack—3; Kit—1 (prefilled syringe + supplies)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder