BONIVA INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ibandronate (as sodium) 3mg/3mL; soln for IV inj.
Indications for BONIVA INJECTION:
Prevention and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis.
Limitations Of use:
Optimal duration of use has not been determined. For patients at low-risk for fracture: consider drug discontinuation after 3–5yrs.
Must be given by healthcare professional. Give as IV bolus inj over 15–30secs. 3mg every 3 months; if dose is missed, give as soon as possible, then every 3 months from the date of last inj.
Hypocalcemia. Tabs: Esophagus abnormalities which delay esophageal emptying (eg, stricture, achalasia). Inability to stand or sit upright for at least 60mins.
Active upper GI disease; discontinue and reevaluate if signs/symptoms of esophageal reaction occur. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min): not recommended. Correct preexisting hypocalcemia, other mineral or bone disturbances before starting. Risk of osteonecrosis of the jaw; consider discontinuing therapy during invasive dental procedures (eg, tooth extraction, implants, surgery). History of bisphosphonate exposure: evaluate for atypical fractures if thigh/groin pain develops; consider withholding therapy until risk/benefit assessment. Ensure adequate Vit. D and calcium intake. Reevaluate periodically. Inj: check renal function before each dose. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Calcium, aluminum, magnesium, other multivalent cations reduce absorption (separate dosing by at least 60mins). Caution with aspirin, NSAIDs, other GI irritants. May interfere with bone-imaging agents. Inj: concomitant nephrotoxic agents; monitor for renal toxicity.
Back pain, dyspepsia, pain in extremity, diarrhea, headache, myalgia; musculoskeletal pain (discontinue if severe), esophagitis, esophageal or gastric ulcer, jaw osteonecrosis, atypical femur fractures. Inj: inj site reactions, flu-like syndrome, anaphylaxis.
Blister pack—3; Kit—1 (prefilled syringe + supplies)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age