BONIVA INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ibandronate (as sodium) 3mg/3mL; soln for IV inj.
Indications for BONIVA INJECTION:
Prevention and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis.
Limitations Of use:
Optimal duration of use has not been determined. For patients at low-risk for fracture: consider drug discontinuation after 3–5yrs.
Must be given by healthcare professional. Give as IV bolus inj over 15–30secs. 3mg every 3 months; if dose is missed, give as soon as possible, then every 3 months from the date of last inj.
Hypocalcemia. Tabs: Esophagus abnormalities which delay esophageal emptying (eg, stricture, achalasia). Inability to stand or sit upright for at least 60mins.
Active upper GI disease; discontinue and reevaluate if signs/symptoms of esophageal reaction occur. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min): not recommended. Correct preexisting hypocalcemia, other mineral or bone disturbances before starting. Risk of osteonecrosis of the jaw; consider discontinuing therapy during invasive dental procedures (eg, tooth extraction, implants, surgery). History of bisphosphonate exposure: evaluate for atypical fractures if thigh/groin pain develops; consider withholding therapy until risk/benefit assessment. Ensure adequate Vit. D and calcium intake. Reevaluate periodically. Inj: check renal function before each dose. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Calcium, aluminum, magnesium, other multivalent cations reduce absorption (separate dosing by at least 60mins). Caution with aspirin, NSAIDs, other GI irritants. May interfere with bone-imaging agents. Inj: concomitant nephrotoxic agents; monitor for renal toxicity.
Back pain, dyspepsia, pain in extremity, diarrhea, headache, myalgia; musculoskeletal pain (discontinue if severe), esophagitis, esophageal or gastric ulcer, jaw osteonecrosis, atypical femur fractures. Inj: inj site reactions, flu-like syndrome, anaphylaxis.
Blister pack—3; Kit—1 (prefilled syringe + supplies)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy