Quetiapine-XR may be effective in reducing substance abuse in patients with bipolar disorder.
Cognitive remediation in patients with bipolar disorder may benefit executive function.
NSAIDs and acetaminophen use was assessed in patients randomized to 6 months of lithium or quetiapine treatment.
Patients with comorbid bipolar disorder and ADHD may benefit from methylphenidate treatment, if it can be done without incurring the risk of mania.
Intra-subject variability in reaction time (ISVRT) is viewed as a promising behavioral endophenotype for bipolar disorder.
Interaction of Proline and COMT Genotype Influences Negative Symptoms in Schizophrenia & Bipolar DisorderSeptember 27, 2016
The authors explored whether valproate (VPA) treatment effects vary by catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) genotype.
Insights from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013
Until now, assessment of aerobic exercise capacity included expensive and time-consuming laboratory tests that do not necessarily accurately reflect patients' day-to-day physical functioning.
Psychosocial and Demographic Predictors of Depression Among Individuals With Bipolar Disorder and SchizophreniaAugust 15, 2016
Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are characterized by significant genetic overlap, as well as significant clinical presentation overlap.
The researchers quantified the transcript levels of GAD67, parvalbumin, somastatin, and Lhx6 in the prefrontal cortex.
New findings underline the potential importance of signaling pathways in the striatum for understanding bipolar disorder pathophysiology.
Exposure to Stressful Triggers Increases Risk for Violent Criminality Irrespective of Psychiatric ConditionJuly 13, 2016
The largest 7-day absolute risk of criminal violence was observed after exposure to violence in patients diagnosed with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, as well as in unaffected individuals.
Bipolar disorder (BD) is typically characterized by recurrent episodes of mania and depression, but the connection between BD and anxiety needs to be considered.
Neuroimaging studies have shown several neurophysiological substrates for depression: An overview by Theodore Henderson, MD, PhD.
Events that happen in childhood and adolescence can predispose individuals to suicidal behavior.
Great potential exists for using objective smartphone data to discriminate between depressive and manic states in patients with bipolar disorder.
Research identifies high comorbidity rates between these 2 distinct diseases with underlying inflammation dysfunction.
Research in recent decades has found structural brain abnormalities in patients with bipolar disorder, but such observations had not been translated into objective and clinically useful biomarkers.
Theory of Mind refers to the ability to assign mental states to oneself and others based on social cues such as tone of voice and facial expressions.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder