CBT is effective in patients with bipolar disorder in decreasing the relapse rate and improving symptoms of depression and mania severity.
Patients with comorbid bipolar disorder and ADHD may benefit from methylphenidate treatment, if it can be done without incurring the risk of mania.
Intra-subject variability in reaction time (ISVRT) is viewed as a promising behavioral endophenotype for bipolar disorder.
Brain-derived Neurotrophic Factor and its Precursor proBDNF as Diagnostic Biomarkers for Mood DisordersSeptember 12, 2016
mBDNF/proBDNF ratio could potentially serve as a novel biomarker for mood disorders.
Until now, assessment of aerobic exercise capacity included expensive and time-consuming laboratory tests that do not necessarily accurately reflect patients' day-to-day physical functioning.
Irritability in Recovered Bipolar Disorder Patients Linked to Greater Morbidity, Depression RecurrenceAugust 22, 2016
Delayed depressive recovery occurred more in depressed patients with current irritability.
Direct comparison of white matter tracts between individuals with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder has not been performed to date.
Psychosocial and Demographic Predictors of Depression Among Individuals With Bipolar Disorder and SchizophreniaAugust 15, 2016
Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are characterized by significant genetic overlap, as well as significant clinical presentation overlap.
The researchers quantified the transcript levels of GAD67, parvalbumin, somastatin, and Lhx6 in the prefrontal cortex.
New findings underline the potential importance of signaling pathways in the striatum for understanding bipolar disorder pathophysiology.
Exposure to Stressful Triggers Increases Risk for Violent Criminality Irrespective of Psychiatric ConditionJuly 13, 2016
The largest 7-day absolute risk of criminal violence was observed after exposure to violence in patients diagnosed with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, as well as in unaffected individuals.
Bipolar disorder (BD) is typically characterized by recurrent episodes of mania and depression, but the connection between BD and anxiety needs to be considered.
Neuroimaging studies have shown several neurophysiological substrates for depression: An overview by Theodore Henderson, MD, PhD.
Nicotine-dependent smokers who began smoking in the 1980s were more likely than older smokers to have a psychiatric condition, such as bipolar disorder, antisocial personality disorder, or ADHD.
Chicken genes are grouped into much smaller linkage blocks than mammalian genomes are, allowing researchers to pinpoint genome regions associated with a trait, such as anxious behavior.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Early Detection Markers of Alzheimer's Disease Possibly Identified
- Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation Inferior to Escitalopram
- Illicit Cannabis Use Among Adults Up Due to Medical Marijuana Laws
- Memory Training Opportunities Exist for Patients With Schizophrenia
- APA: Medical Discrimination Based on Size Psychologically, Physically Harms Patients
- Criteria For Identification of Smartphone Addiction
- Bipolar Disorder: Childhood Trauma Modulates Impact on Amygdala, Hippocampus
- Psychiatric Evaluations: Questions on Suicide Need to Be Rephrased
- Subsequent Suicide Attempts May Be Reduced by Emergency Department Interventions
- Elevated Levels of Childhood Adversity in Patients with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Widespread Pain
- Prescription Opioid Misuse Remains a Persistent Problem
- Revised Treatment Guidelines for Pediatric Acute Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome
- Long-term Response to Prophylactic Mood Stabilizers in Bipolar Disorder
- Medically Supervised Withdrawal, an Option for Pregnant Women Addicted to Opioids
- Navigating the Thin Line Between Identification & Intimacy With Patients