Asenapine decreases the time to recurrence of manic and depressive episodes among patients with bipolar I disorder.
Bright light therapy might be effective for the treatment of bipolar depression.
People with both bipolar disorder and ADHD have similar neurocognitive profiles compared with people with only bipolar disorder.
Olanzapine was shown to be effective among patients with acute mania associated with bipolar I disorder.
Lithium is the only medication to demonstrate an antisuicidal effect over and above its action on mood episodes in bipolar disorder.
An M1-like proinflammatory state is associated with a poor response to antidepressant treatment in bipolar depression with evidence suggesting increased production of cytokines in patients with mood disorders.
Ketamine improves social function and academic performance in juvenile patients with bipolar disorder with a fear of harm phenotype.
For patients with bipolar disorder and major depressive disorder, reduction in dose of antipsychotic medication could lead to an increased rate of hospitalization.
Mixed state does not increase the risk for suicidal behavior beyond the risk associated with the depressive component.
Children and adolescent offspring of patients with schizophrenia demonstrate more attenuated psychotic symptoms.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder