The Oregon Foundation for Reproductive Health recommends that all medical providers ask all female patients of reproductive age if they plan to become pregnant in the next year.
Bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder reflect alternate expressions of the same underlying disorder.
The ability to track ingestion of medications prescribed for mental illness may be useful for some patients.
Comorbid anxiety disorders among patients with depression or bipolar disorder were not associated with suicide attempts.
Inclusion of supportive elements such as rehabilitation may help drive translation of cognitive improvements to broad functional measures.
Dopamine dysfunction underlies the pathoetiology of psychosis in both bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.
Asenapine decreases the time to recurrence of manic and depressive episodes among patients with bipolar I disorder.
People with both bipolar disorder and ADHD have similar neurocognitive profiles compared with people with only bipolar disorder.
Olanzapine was shown to be effective among patients with acute mania associated with bipolar I disorder.
Making mental health predictions based on clinical presentation has major limitations.
An M1-like proinflammatory state is associated with a poor response to antidepressant treatment in bipolar depression with evidence suggesting increased production of cytokines in patients with mood disorders.
Ketamine improves social function and academic performance in juvenile patients with bipolar disorder with a fear of harm phenotype.
For patients with bipolar disorder and major depressive disorder, reduction in dose of antipsychotic medication could lead to an increased rate of hospitalization.
Mixed state does not increase the risk for suicidal behavior beyond the risk associated with the depressive component.
Psychosis in patients with bipolar disorder was not associated with worse clinical or functional outcomes.
Children and adolescent offspring of patients with schizophrenia demonstrate more attenuated psychotic symptoms.
Lithium response may be predicted with better accuracy by a new model.
Childhood trauma modulates the effects of bipolar disorder on the amygdala and hippocampus by causing an increase in the volumes of gray matter.
New bipolar I disorder treatment Abilify Maintena is only required once a month.
Pregnant women with bipolar disorder receiving psychotropic medication did not experience less functional impairment and symptom burden.
Bipolar disorder probability in the offspring of a parent with BP was assessed by a risk calculator.
Australian investigators found significant differences in early results from different treatments for bipolar disorder.
In bipolar disorder, neurocognitive impairment needs to be considered a therapeutic clinical target to improve psychosocial functioning.
Manic relapse in bipolar disorder is connected to thyroid disease.
Bipolar disorder mood relapse episodes were delayed with risperidone long-acting injection.
Bipolar disorder treatment with lamotrigine during pregnancy may also prevent postpartum depressive episodes.
Depressed patients with diagnoses that ultimately converted to bipolar disorder had been diagnosed with depression earlier.
Ketamine can provide acute benefits for treatment-resistant depression, bipolar depression, and major depressive disorder with suicidal ideation.
Neither bipolar disorder nor lithium treatment was associated with increased cancer incidence.
Quetiapine-XR may be effective in reducing substance abuse in patients with bipolar disorder.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Genetic Variations Associated With Empathy Affect Psychiatric Conditions
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed