Generic Name and Formulations:
Praziquantel 600mg; scored tabs.
Indications for BILTRICIDE:
For the treatment of infections due to: all species of schistosoma, and infections due to the liver flukes, Clonorchis sinensis/Opisthorchis viverrini.
Adults and Children:
Swallow whole with water during meals. <4yrs: not established. ≥4yrs: Schistosomiasis: 20mg/kg 3 times daily as a one day treatment, at intervals ≥4hrs and ≤6hrs. Clonorchiasis, opisthorchiasis: 25mg/kg 3 times daily as a one day treatment, at intervals ≥4hrs and ≤6hrs.
Ocular cysticercosis. Concomitant strong CYP450 inducers (eg, rifampin).
Renal or moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment. History of epilepsy. Cerebral cysticercosis: hospitalize patient for duration of treatment. Monitor patients with cardiac irregularities. Possible clinical deterioration (paradoxical reactions, serum sickness Jarisch-Herxheimer like reactions). Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended and during subsequent 72hrs.
See Contraindications. Discontinue rifampin 4 weeks before giving praziquantel; may be restarted one day after completing praziquantel treatment. Potentiated by CYP450 inhibitors (eg, cimetidine, ketoconazole, itraconazole, erythromycin), grapefruit juice. Antagonized by CYP450 inducers (eg, phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine, dexamethasone).
Malaise, headache, dizziness, abdominal discomfort with or w/o nausea, fever, urticaria.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Incorporating Guidelines Into Clinical Practice: An Interview With Gary L. LeRoy, MD
- Disaster Preparedness 101: Physician Resources for Patients
- Adverse Events Caused by Once-Monthly Aripiprazole Are Time Limited
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth