BIAXIN XL Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Clarithromycin 500mg; ext-rel tabs.
Indications for BIAXIN XL:
Mild to moderate susceptible acute maxillary sinusitis, acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, community-acquired pneumonia.
Swallow whole. Take with food. 1g once daily. Sinusitis: for 14 days. Bronchitis, pneumonia: for 7 days. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min): reduce clarithromycin dose by ½. When moderate or severe renal impairment and concomitant atazanavir or ritonavir: reduce clarithromycin dose by ½ (CrCl 30–60mL/min) or ¾ (CrCl <30mL/min).
Concomitant cisapride, pimozide, ergots, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors extensively metabolized by CYP3A4 (lovastatin or simvastatin). Concomitant colchicine (in renal or hepatic impairment). Cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction with prior clarithromycin use.
Discontinue immediately if hepatitis or severe hypersensitivity reactions occur. Avoid in known QT prolongation, ventricular cardiac arrhythmia (including torsades de pointes), proarrhythmic conditions (eg, hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia, bradycardia). Coronary artery disease. Myasthenia gravis. Severe renal impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C): not recommended (except when no alternative drugs exist). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Class IA (disopyramide, quinidine, procainamide) or Class III (dofetilide, amiodarone, sotalol) antiarrhythmics, or other drugs known to prolong QT interval: not recommended. Sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil: not recommended. Antagonized by CYP3A inducers (eg, efavirenz, nevirapine, rifampicin, rifabutin, rifapentine, etravirine); use alternative antibacterial treatment. Doses >1000mg/day should not be coadministered with protease inhibitors. Separate zidovudine dose by at least 2hrs. Potentiated by CYP3A inhibitors (eg, itraconazole, saquinavir, atazanavir, ritonavir). Concomitant atazanavir: see Adults; consider alternative antibacterial therapy for indications other than MAC. May potentiate theophylline, omeprazole, phenytoin, digoxin, midazolam, alprazolam, triazolam, cyclosporine, hexobarbital, tacrolimus, alfentanil, bromocriptine, valproate, carbamazepine, tolterodine, itraconazole, methylprednisolone, cilostazol, vinblastine, quetiapine, maraviroc; monitor these and other drugs metabolized by CYP3A. Myopathy/rhabdomyolysis with statins; max 20mg atorvastatin/day, 40mg pravastatin/day; consider use of statin not dependent on CYP3A metabolism (eg, fluvastatin). Reduce colchicine dose if coadministration is necessary. Hypoglycemia with oral hypoglycemics/insulin; carefully monitor glucose. Oral anticoagulants: frequently monitor INR and prothrombin times. Hypotension with calcium channel blockers metabolized by CYP3A4 (eg, verapamil, amlodipine, diltiazem, nifedipine).
Abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, dysguesia; hepatotoxicity, QT prolongation, C. difficile associated diarrhea, hypersensitivity reactions.
XL, tabs (YES); susp (NO)
XL tabs, tabs—60; Biaxin XL-Pac (14 x 500mg XL tabs)—4; Susp—50mL, 100mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders