BETOPTIC S Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Betaxolol HCl 0.25%; oph. susp; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for BETOPTIC S:
Open-angle glaucoma. Ocular hypertension.
Remove contact lenses before use; may reinsert 15mins after instillation. 1–2 drops twice daily.
Sinus bradycardia. Greater than 1st-degree AV block. Cardiogenic shock. Overt cardiac failure.
History of cardiac failure or heart block. Discontinue at 1st sign of cardiac failure. COPD. Asthma. Pulmonary impairment. Measure intraocular pressure during 1st month of treatment. Diabetes (esp. labile). Vascular insufficiency; consider alternative therapy if reduced cerebral blood flow or Raynaud's phenomenon develop. History of atopy or anaphylaxis. May mask hypoglycemia and hyperthyroidism. Discontinue before general anesthesia. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate or be potentiated by systemic β-blockers. May potentiate reserpine, hypoglycemics. May antagonize adrenergic psychotropics. Additive hypotension and/or marked bradycardia with concomitant calcium antagonists, antiarrhythmics, digitalis.
Transient discomfort, tearing. Rarely: decreased corneal sensitivity, erythema, itch, corneal punctate staining, keratitis, anisocoria, photophobia, depression, headache, bradycardia, dyspnea, hives.
Susp—2.5mL, 5mL, 10mL, 15mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Neuroimaging Markers of Bipolar Disorder Risk for At-Risk Youth
- Suicide Attempt Risk Among LGB Populations Higher Than Previously Estimated
- Residents Should Take Advantage of Paid Time Off
- Outpatient Engagement May Lower Suicide Attempts in Patients With Fibromyalgia
- Prevalence of Alzheimer Disease, Related Dementia Set to Double