BETOPTIC S Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Betaxolol HCl 0.25%; oph. susp; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for BETOPTIC S:
Open-angle glaucoma. Ocular hypertension.
Remove contact lenses before use; may reinsert 15mins after instillation. 1–2 drops twice daily.
Sinus bradycardia. Greater than 1st-degree AV block. Cardiogenic shock. Overt cardiac failure.
History of cardiac failure or heart block. Discontinue at 1st sign of cardiac failure. COPD. Asthma. Pulmonary impairment. Measure intraocular pressure during 1st month of treatment. Diabetes (esp. labile). Vascular insufficiency; consider alternative therapy if reduced cerebral blood flow or Raynaud's phenomenon develop. History of atopy or anaphylaxis. May mask hypoglycemia and hyperthyroidism. Discontinue before general anesthesia. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate or be potentiated by systemic β-blockers. May potentiate reserpine, hypoglycemics. May antagonize adrenergic psychotropics. Additive hypotension and/or marked bradycardia with concomitant calcium antagonists, antiarrhythmics, digitalis.
Transient discomfort, tearing. Rarely: decreased corneal sensitivity, erythema, itch, corneal punctate staining, keratitis, anisocoria, photophobia, depression, headache, bradycardia, dyspnea, hives.
Susp—2.5mL, 5mL, 10mL, 15mL
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Content, Quality Issues for Both Paper-Based and Electronic Health Records