Betaxolol HCl Ophthalmic Solution Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Betaxolol HCl 0.5%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Indications for Betaxolol HCl Ophthalmic Solution:
Open-angle glaucoma. Ocular hypertension.
1–2 drops in affected eye(s) twice daily. Concomitant therapy with pilocarpine and other miotics, and/or epinephrine and/or carbonic anhydrase inhibitors can be instituted if needed.
Sinus bradycardia. Greater than 1st-degree AV block. Cardiogenic shock. Overt cardiac failure.
History of cardiac failure or heart block. Discontinue at 1st sign of cardiac failure. Asthma. Pulmonary impairment. Diabetes (esp. labile). May mask hypoglycemia and hyperthyroidism. May potentiate muscle weakness. Discontinue before general anesthesia. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate or be potentiated by systemic β-blockers. May potentiate reserpine, hypoglycemics. May antagonize adrenergic psychotropics.
Transient discomfort, tearing. Rarely: decreased corneal sensitivity, erythema, itch, corneal punctate staining, keratitis, anisocoria, photophobia, depression, headache, bradycardia, dyspnea, hives.
Formerly known under the brand name Betoptic.
Soln—5mL, 10mL, 15mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders