Generic Name and Formulations:
Interferon beta-1b 0.3mg; per vial; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; contains albumin (human), mannitol; preservative-free.
Indications for BETASERON:
To reduce the frequency of clinical exacerbations of relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (MS) in patients who have experienced a first clinical episode and have MRI features consistent with MS.
Pre-medicate with analgesics and/or antipyretics on treatment days to ameliorate flu-like symptoms. May be administered by syringe and needle or Betaconnect autoinjector. ≥18yrs: initially 0.0625mg (0.25mL) SC every other day; increase by 25% every 2 weeks to target dose of 0.25mg (1mL) SC every other day.
<18yrs: not established.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of hepatic injury; consider discontinuing if elevated transaminase levels or jaundice occurs. Depression. Suicidal ideation. Pre-existing CHF: monitor for worsening cardiac function at initiation and during treatment. Risk of thrombotic microangiopathy, drug-induced lupus erythematosus; discontinue if occurs. Myelosuppression. Monitor CBCs, differential, platelets, blood chemistries; liver function (at 1, 3, and 6 months then periodically). Pregnancy (Cat.C; may be abortifacient). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Risk of hepatic injury with concomitant hepatotoxic drugs or alcohol.
Inj site reactions, lymphopenia, flu-like symptoms, myalgia, leukopenia, neutropenia, increased liver enzymes, headache, hypertonia, pain, rash, insomnia, abdominal pain, asthenia; inj site necrosis (suspend therapy if multiple lesions occur); rare: hepatic injury, anaphylaxis, possible seizures.
Single-use vials (w. prefilled diluent syringe, supplies)—5, 14
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses