Generic Name and Formulations:
Levobunolol HCl 0.5%; oph. soln; contains benzalkonium chloride, sodium metabisulfite.
Indications for BETAGAN:
Open-angle glaucoma. Ocular hypertension.
1–2 drops of 0.5% 1–2 times daily. Remove contact lenses prior to administration; may reinsert 15mins later.
Bronchial asthma. Severe COPD. Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Overt cardiac failure. Cardiogenic shock.
Mild or moderate COPD, bronchospastic disease; not recommended. Impair compensatory tachycardia. Increase risk of hypotension. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Choroidal detachment after filtration procedures. Diminished pulmonary function. Cerebrovascular insufficiency. Angle-closure glaucoma. Myasthenia. Withdraw gradually before surgery. Discontinue at first sign of cardiac failure. Vascular insufficiency (eg, Raynaud's phenomenon). Sulfite sensitivity. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Additive effects with systemic β-blockers, digitalis, calcium blockers, reserpine, phenothiazine-related drugs. Mydriasis with epinephrine.
Transient ocular burning, stinging, blepharoconjunctivitis, bradycardia, hypotension, iridocyclitis, headache, transient ataxia, dizziness, lethargy, urticaria, pruritus, decreased corneal sensitivity; systemic absorption (bronchospasm, cardiac failure).
Soln—5mL, 10mL, 15mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling