BENTYL INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Dicyclomine HCl 10mg/mL; soln for IM inj.
Indications for BENTYL INJECTION:
Irritable bowel syndrome.
Give by IM route only. 10–20mg four times daily for max 1–2 days when oral therapy is not feasible.
<6months: see Contraindications. ≥6months: consult manufacturer.
Glaucoma. Unstable cardiovascular status. GI or urinary tract obstruction. Severe ulcerative colitis. Myasthenia gravis. Reflux esophagitis. Children <6months of age. Nursing mothers.
Inj: avoid IV administration (may cause thrombosis, inj site reactions). Autonomic neuropathy. Hepatic or renal impairment. Cardiovascular disease. Hypertension. Hyperthyroidism. Salmonella dysentery. Toxic megacolon. Ulcerative colitis. GI or GU obstruction. High environmental temperature. Diarrhea. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Antacids may inhibit absorption; avoid. May antagonize anti-glaucoma agents or drugs that alter GI motility (eg, metoclopramide). Antagonized by agents used to treat achlorhydria and those used to test gastric secretion. Additive anticholinergic effects with other anticholinergics, narcotic analgesics, type I antiarrhythmics, antihistamines, antipsychotics, tricyclics, amantadine, benzodiazepines, MAOIs, nitrites, nitrates, sympathomimetics. May affect absorption of sust rel dosage forms.
Dizziness, dry mouth, blurred vision, nausea, somnolence, asthenia, and nervousness; cardiovascular and CNS symptoms (eg, psychosis, delirium). Fatal reactions have occurred in infants.
Caps, tabs—100; Syrup—contact supplier; Amps (2mL)—5
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders