BAYER, ASPIRIN REGIMEN OTC
Generic Name and Formulations:
Aspirin 81mg tabs, 325mg caplets; e-c.
Bayer Corp, Consumer Care Div.
Indications for BAYER, ASPIRIN REGIMEN:
To reduce combined risk of death and nonfatal stroke after ischemic stroke or TIA. To reduce risk of vascular mortality in suspected acute MI. To reduce combined risk of death and nonfatal MI after MI or unstable angina pectoris. To reduce combined risk of MI and sudden death in chronic stable angina. Revascularization procedures.
Ischemic stroke and TIA: 50–325mg once daily. Suspected acute MI: 160–162.5mg once daily (start as soon as MI suspected) then for at least 30 days post-MI. Prevention of recurrent MI, unstable angina pectoris, chronic stable angina: 75–325mg once daily. Coronary artery bypass graft: 325mg once daily (start 6hrs after procedure) for 1yr. Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty: 325mg 2 hours before surgery, then 160–325mg once daily. Carotid endarterectomy: 80mg once daily to 650mg twice daily (start before surgery).
NSAID allergy. Viral infection in children and teenagers. 3rd trimester pregnancy.
History of asthma or peptic ulcer. Severe hepatic or renal dysfunction. Bleeding disorders. Diabetes. Gout. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates anticoagulants, hypoglycemics, methotrexate, acetazolamide, valproic acid, highly protein-bound drugs. Urinary alkalinizers, antacids, corticosteroids may increase excretion. May antagonize ACE inhibitors, β-blockers, diuretics, uricosurics. Increased bleeding risk with NSAIDs or chronic, heavy alcohol use. NSAIDs increase risk of renal dysfunction.
GI upset/bleed, prolonged bleeding time, anaphylaxis, salicylism.
Aspirin Regimen 81mg—32, 120, 180; Aspirin Regimen 325mg—100; Children's—36; Bayer Tabs—12, 24, 50, 100, 200, 300, 365; Caplets—50, 100, 200; Gelcaps—40, 80
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed