Generic Name and Formulations:
Rufinamide 200mg, 400mg; scored tabs.
Indications for BANZEL:
Adjunctive treatment of seizures in Lennox-Gastaut syndrome.
Take with food in 2 equally divided doses. ≥17yrs: initially 400–800mg per day; increase by 400–800mg/day every other day up to max 3200mg/day. Avoid abrupt cessation (reduce dose by 25% every 2 days).
Take with food in 2 equally divided doses. <1yrs: not established. 1–<17yrs: initially 10mg/kg per day; increase every other day by 10mg/kg up to max 45mg/kg per day or 3200mg/day (whichever is less). Avoid abrupt cessation (reduce dose by 25% every 2 days).
Familial short QT syndrome.
Increased risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior; monitor for new or worsening of depression, suicidal thoughts, or unusual changes. Severe hepatic impairment: not recommended. Mild to moderate hepatic impairment. Dialysis (may adjust dose). Monitor for multi-organ hypersensitivity reactions; discontinue if suspected. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with drugs that shorten QT interval. CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Antagonizes carbamazepine, lamotrigine, triazolam. May potentiate phenobarbital, phenytoin. Potentiated by valproate (reduce doses). Antagonized by carbamazepine, phenobarbital, primidone, phenytoin. May affect substrates of CYP3A4, CYP2E1 (monitor). Antagonizes hormonal contraceptives (use non-hormonal forms too). May be affected by inducers or inhibitors of carboxylesterases.
Headache, dizziness, fatigue, somnolence, nausea, incoordination, gait disturbances, ataxia, visual disturbances, leukopenia, fever/rash.
Tabs—120; Susp—460mL (w. adapter & dosing syringe)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder