Bacitracin Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Bacitracin 50000Units/vial; pwd for IM inj after reconstitution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Bacitracin Injection:
Treatment of infants with pneumonia and empyema caused by susceptible staphylococci infections.
Give by IM inj in upper outer quadrant of buttocks. Rotate inj site. <2.5kg: 900Units/kg/day in 2‒3 divided doses. >2.5kg: 1000Units/kg/day in 2‒3 divided doses.
Administer only where adequate lab facilities available with constant patient supervision. Monitor renal function; discontinue if nephrotoxicity occurs. Maintain adequate fluid intake.
Avoid concomitant nephrotoxic drugs (eg, streptomycin, kanamycin, polymyxin B, polymyxin E (colistin), neomycin).
Nephrotoxicity (albuminuria, cylindruria, azotemia), nausea, vomiting, inj site pain, rash; superinfection.
Formerly known under the brand name BACiiM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders