Bacitracin Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Bacitracin 50000Units/vial; pwd for IM inj after reconstitution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Bacitracin Injection:
Treatment of infants with pneumonia and empyema caused by susceptible staphylococci infections.
Give by IM inj in upper outer quadrant of buttocks. Rotate inj site. <2.5kg: 900Units/kg/day in 2‒3 divided doses. >2.5kg: 1000Units/kg/day in 2‒3 divided doses.
Administer only where adequate lab facilities available with constant patient supervision. Monitor renal function; discontinue if nephrotoxicity occurs. Maintain adequate fluid intake.
Avoid concomitant nephrotoxic drugs (eg, streptomycin, kanamycin, polymyxin B, polymyxin E (colistin), neomycin).
Nephrotoxicity (albuminuria, cylindruria, azotemia), nausea, vomiting, inj site pain, rash; superinfection.
Formerly known under the brand name BACiiM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children