Generic Name and Formulations:
Amlodipine (as besylate), olmesartan medoxomil; 5mg/20mg, 10mg/20mg, 5mg/40mg, 10mg/40mg; tabs.
Indications for AZOR :
Individualize. Initially 5/20mg once daily; may increase after 1–2 weeks up to max 10/40mg daily. ≥75yrs or hepatic impairment: initial therapy not recommended.
Concomitant aliskiren in patients with diabetes.
Fetal toxicity may develop; discontinue if pregnancy is detected. Volume/salt depleted. Severe obstructive coronary disease. Severe aortic stenosis. Severe hepatic or renal impairment. Renal artery stenosis. Consider discontinuing if sprue-like enteropathy develops and no other etiology is identified. Monitor electrolytes periodically. Elderly (may need lower initial dose of amlodipine). Neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.D); monitor. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Potentiates simvastatin; limit simvastatin dose to 20mg/day. May potentiate cyclosporine, tacrolimus, lithium; monitor levels. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors; may need dose reduction. Antagonized by NSAIDs (including selective COX-2 inhibitors); may impair renal function (monitor). Dual inhibition of the renin-angiotensin system with ARBs, ACEIs, or aliskiren may increase risk of hypotension, hyperkalemia, renal function changes; monitor closely. Concomitant aliskiren in renal impairment (CrCl <60mL/min): not recommended. Consider taking at least 4hrs before colesevelam HCl dose. Monitor BP with CYP3A4 inducers.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) + angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB).
Edema, dizziness; headache, hypotension, rash, pruritus, palpitation, urinary frequency, nocturia, hepatic or renal dysfunction, decreased hematocrit, decreased hemoglobin, hyperkalemia (rare).
Amlodipine: hepatic; 93% protein bound. Olmesartan: 99% protein bound.
Renal (primary); fecal.
Tabs—30, 90, 100, 1000
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders