Generic Name and Formulations:
Rasagiline 0.5mg, 1mg; tabs.
Indications for AZILECT:
Parkinson's disease (PD).
Monotherapy or adjunct without levodopa: 1mg once daily. Concomitant levodopa with/without other PD drugs (eg, dopamine agonist, amantadine, anticholinergics): initially 0.5mg once daily; may increase to 1mg once daily (consider reducing levodopa dose based on response). Mild hepatic impairment (Child-Pugh score 5–6) or concomitant CYP1A2 inhibitors: 0.5mg once daily.
During or within 2 weeks of meperidine, tramadol, methadone, propoxyphene, MAOIs including other selective MAO-B inhibitors. Concomitant dextromethorphan, St. John's wort, cyclobenzaprine.
Monitor for new onset hypertension or hypertension that is not adequately controlled after starting therapy. Avoid tyramine-rich foods (see full labeling). Monitor for drowsiness or sleepiness. Mild hepatic impairment: reduce dose; moderate to severe hepatic impairment (Child-Pugh score ≥7): not recommended. Monitor for hallucinations, psychotic or compulsive behaviors; consider reduce dose or discontinue if develops. Monitor for melanoma. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Possible hypertensive crisis with excess dietary tyramine (see full labeling). Potentiated by CYP1A2 inhibitors (eg, ciprofloxacin). Concomitant antidepressants (eg, SSRIs, SNRIs, triazolopyridines, tricyclics, tetracyclics): not recommended; increased risk of serotonin syndrome. Allow at least 14 days after discontinuing rasagiline before starting SSRIs, SNRIs, triazolpyridines, tricyclics, tetracyclics; allow 5 weeks after discontinuing fluoxetine before starting rasagiline. Caution with sympathomimetics (eg, nasal, oral, ophthalmic decongestants or cold remedies).
As monotherapy: flu syndrome, arthralgia, depression, dyspepsia. With levodopa: also dyskinesia, accidental injury, weight loss, postural hypotension, GI upset, anorexia, abdominal pain, constipation, dry mouth, rash, abnormal dreams, fall.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder