Generic Name and Formulations:
Aztreonam 1g, 2g; for IM or IV inj after reconstitution; sodium-free.
Indications for AZACTAM:
Susceptible bacterial infections, including septicemia, lower respiratory tract, complicated or uncomplicated urinary tract, skin and skin structure, gynecologic, intraabdominal. Surgical adjunct.
UTI: 500mg–1g every 8–12hrs. Other systemic infections: moderately severe: 1–2g every 8–12hrs; severe: 2g every 6–8hrs. All: max 8g/day. Max 1g/dose by IM. Renal impairment (CrCl 10–30mL/min): Halve dose after loading dose; CrCl <10mL/min: see full labeling.
<9 months: not established. Not for septicemia or certain skin and skin structure infections; see full labeling. 9 months–16yrs (normal renal function only): Urinary tract, lower respiratory tract, intraabdominal, gynecologic infections: mild-to-moderate: 30mg/kg IV every 8hrs; moderate-to-severe: 30mg/kg IV every 6–8hrs; max 120mg/kg/day. May need higher dose in patients with cystic fibrosis.
Penicillin, cephalosporin, carbapenem, or other allergy. Renal or hepatic impairment; monitor during therapy. Monitor renal function in prolonged use or with high doses. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate nephrotoxicity of concomitant aminoglycosides. Avoid concomitant β-lactamase-inducing drugs (eg, cefoxitin, imipenem).
Local reactions (eg, phlebitis, discomfort), GI upset, rash, anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias, elevated liver enzymes or serum creatinine; C. difficile-associated diarrhea; rare: toxic epidermal necrolysis.
Single-dose vials (15mL)—10; GALAXY containers (50mL)—24
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder