Generic Name and Formulations:
Interferon beta-1a 30mcg per prefilled syringe (albumin-free liq) or per vial [pwd for reconstitution (preservative-free, contains albumin)]; or per prefilled autoinjector (albumin-free liq); for IM inj.
Indications for AVONEX:
Treatment of relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis to slow the accumulation of physical disability and decrease the frequency of clinical exacerbations in patients with first clinical episode and MRI consistent with MS.
Pre-medicate with analgesics and/or antipyretics on treatment days to ameliorate flu-like symptoms. Rotate inj sites. ≥18yrs: 30mcg IM once weekly. May titrate dose to reduce severity of flu-like symptoms; dosed once weekly, IM: Week 1: 7.5mcg. Week 2: 15mcg. Week 3: 22.5mcg. Week 4: 30mcg.
<18yrs: not established.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of hepatic injury. Depression. Suicidal ideation. Seizure disorders. Pre-existing CHF: monitor for worsening cardiac function at initiation and during treatment. Risk of thrombotic microangiopathy; discontinue if occurs. Myelosuppression. Monitor CBCs, differential, platelets, blood chemistries, liver and thyroid function. Consider discontinuing if new autoimmune disorder develops. Pregnancy (Cat.C; may be abortifacient). Nursing mothers.
Risk of hepatic injury with concomitant hepatotoxic drugs or alcohol.
Flu-like symptoms, asthenia, headache, myalgia, fever, chills, GI upset, depression, blood dyscrasias, seizures; rare: hepatic injury, anaphylaxis (discontinue if occurs).
Register pregnant patients exposed to Avonex by calling (800) 456-2255.
Single-use prefilled syringes (0.5mL) dose pack—1 (4 syringes, supplies); Single-use vial dose pack—1 (4 vials, diluent, supplies); Single-use prefilled autoinjector (0.5mL) dose pack—1 (4 autoinjectors, supplies)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders