Generic Name and Formulations:
Dutasteride 0.5mg; caps.
Indications for AVODART:
BPH, as monotherapy to improve symptoms and reduce risks of acute urinary retention and need for prostate surgery; or in combination with tamsulosin. Limitation of use: not approved for preventing prostate cancer.
Swallow whole. Monotherapy: 0.5mg once daily. Combination therapy: 0.5mg once daily with tamsulosin 0.4mg once daily.
Not for use in children or women. Pregnant women and those of childbearing potential should avoid handling caps.
Increased risk of high-grade prostate cancer. Monitor prostate specific antigen (PSA) values (establish new baseline PSA after at least 3months of treatment); double PSA levels to compare with normal values. Rule out prostate cancer and other urological disorders prior to treatment. Hepatic dysfunction. Avoid donating blood until at least 6months after last dose.
May be potentiated by CYP3A4/5 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, ketoconazole, verapamil, diltiazem, cimetidine, troleandomycin, ciprofloxacin); caution.
Type I and II 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor.
Impotence, decreased libido, ejaculation disorder, gynecomastia, dizziness (with tamsulosin).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders