Generic Name and Formulations:
Dutasteride 0.5mg; caps.
Indications for AVODART:
BPH, as monotherapy to improve symptoms and reduce risks of acute urinary retention and need for prostate surgery; or in combination with tamsulosin. Limitation of use: not approved for preventing prostate cancer.
Swallow whole. Monotherapy: 0.5mg once daily. Combination therapy: 0.5mg once daily with tamsulosin 0.4mg once daily.
Not for use in children or women. Pregnant women and those of childbearing potential should avoid handling caps.
Increased risk of high-grade prostate cancer. Monitor prostate specific antigen (PSA) values (establish new baseline PSA after at least 3months of treatment); double PSA levels to compare with normal values. Rule out prostate cancer and other urological disorders prior to treatment. Hepatic dysfunction. Avoid donating blood until at least 6months after last dose.
May be potentiated by CYP3A4/5 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, ketoconazole, verapamil, diltiazem, cimetidine, troleandomycin, ciprofloxacin); caution.
Type I and II 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor.
Impotence, decreased libido, ejaculation disorder, gynecomastia, dizziness (with tamsulosin).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa