Generic Name and Formulations:
Tazarotene 0.1%; crm.
Indications for AVAGE:
Adjunct to comprehensive skin care and sunlight avoidance programs in the palliation of facial fine wrinkles, facial mottled hyper- and hypopigmentation, and facial benign lentigines.
Limitations Of use:
Does not eliminate or prevent wrinkles or restore more youthful skin. Does not reverse photoaging or repair sun damaged skin; does not mitigate coarse or deep wrinkling, tactile roughness, telangiectasia, skin laxity, keratinocytic atypia, melanocytic atypia, or dermal elastosis. The safety and effectiveness for the prevention or treatment of actinic keratoses, skin neoplasms, or lentigo maligna have not been established.
≥17yrs: apply thin film to entire face once daily in the PM. Females of reproductive potential: begin therapy during normal menses.
<17yrs: not established.
Assess any facial pigmented lesions (eg, lentigo maligna) prior to initiation. Obtain reliable negative pregnancy test within 2 weeks prior to therapy. Females of reproductive potential should use effective contraception. Do not use on broken, eczematous, or sunburned skin. Sun sensitivity. Avoid eyes, mouth, sun, and UV light. Increased irritation in extreme weather. Discontinue or reduce dose frequency if excessive irritation occurs. Nursing mothers.
Avoid use until the effects of strong drying agents have subsided. Avoid concomitant with photosensitizers or other irritants.
Desquamation, erythema, burning, dry or irritation skin, pruritus, irritant contact dermatitis, stinging, rash, cheilitis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling
- Nightmares in Military Personnel Frequently Comorbid With Mental Health Disorders
- Potential for SERMs as Adjunctive Therapy for Schizophrenia
- Addressing Racial Disparities in Bipolar Disorder Treatment
- Negative Symptoms Increase Cardiovascular Risk in Schizophrenia