In children with autism, improvisational music therapy showed no significant difference in symptom outcome.
Autism risk is correlated with exposure to certain toxins and nutrients during late pregnancy.
New art therapy guidelines have been developed for children with autism spectrum disorder.
Antidepressants were more strongly associated with cases of autism that didn't include intellectual disability.
A treatment protocol that alters the gut microbiome and virome might also alleviate behavioral symptoms of ASD.
Investigators examined functional connectivity between the amygdala and the mPFC, bilateral temporal lobe, striatum, thalamus, cingulate cortex, and cerebellum in children diagnosed with autism and age-matched control participants.
While past studies have shown that younger siblings with an affected older sibling are at higher risk of autism, these findings have not been evaluated in a large, racially and ethnically diverse population.
The longer autism spectrum disorder insurance mandates remained in place, the more that mandate-associated treated prevalence increased.
In vitro assays hold promise as diagnostic tools in complex neurodevelopmental disorders such as autism.
The results indicate a 10-fold increased risk of future autism in patients diagnosed with epilepsy.
Ann Neumayer, MD, suggests that giving too many supplements can be harmful as well as giving too few.
The immune system dysregulation during pregnancy may lead to or exacerbate neurodevelopmental conditions such as autism.
New technologies and methodological approaches are starting to elucidate the relationship between DNA and complex human behavior.
Children with an autism spectrum disorder often have a different sensory profile than those without, and they may wander because of an overreaction to sensory stimulation such as noises or smells.
Objective measures of autism symptom severity are necessary to accurately diagnose autism and measure the effectiveness of treatment interventions.
Special education resources appear to play a significant role in early diagnosis of ASD.
Those taking atypical antipsychotics also showed a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Previous studies finding a link between antidepressants and autism may have actually been finding a link between autism and maternal depression itself.
Researchers find that anterior cingulate cortex part of the brain is responsible for decision making on whether to cooperate with another person.
Autism patients with a genetic disorder given insulin-like growth factor-1 saw improvements in social behavior.
Having any kind of pet in the home can help children with autism develop social skills.
Peer-led interventions can significantly reduce anxiety, depression and stress in parents of children with disabilities.
Move combines disparate programs into Autism Care Demosntration Project for children of military personell, begiing at the end of the month.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder