These data confirmed the increased risk for psychiatric disorders in women with PCOS, and indicated an increased risk for ADHD and ASD in their children.
Recognizing the increased risk for mood disorders in children with ASD and ADHD may be useful for clinicians and parents in developing proper screening and treatment strategies.
This is contrary to normal neurologic development in which mature neurons increase into adulthood.
Autism was associated with changes in the plasma protein content of certain advanced glycation end products and oxidation adducts.
A reduced risk for autism spectrum disorder in offspring was associated with maternal use of folic acid and mutlivitamin supplements.
Multiple treatment failure in children with first-episode psychosis was more common among patients with comorbid autism spectrum disorders.
Family members of ALS patients have higher rates of neuropsychiatric conditions.
In children with congenital hypothyroidism behavioral problems can be mitigated through appropriate levels of treatment during infancy.
In children with autism, improvisational music therapy showed no significant difference in symptom outcome.
Autism risk is correlated with exposure to certain toxins and nutrients during late pregnancy.
New art therapy guidelines have been developed for children with autism spectrum disorder.
Antidepressants were more strongly associated with cases of autism that didn't include intellectual disability.
A treatment protocol that alters the gut microbiome and virome might also alleviate behavioral symptoms of ASD.
Investigators examined functional connectivity between the amygdala and the mPFC, bilateral temporal lobe, striatum, thalamus, cingulate cortex, and cerebellum in children diagnosed with autism and age-matched control participants.
While past studies have shown that younger siblings with an affected older sibling are at higher risk of autism, these findings have not been evaluated in a large, racially and ethnically diverse population.
The longer autism spectrum disorder insurance mandates remained in place, the more that mandate-associated treated prevalence increased.
In vitro assays hold promise as diagnostic tools in complex neurodevelopmental disorders such as autism.
The results indicate a 10-fold increased risk of future autism in patients diagnosed with epilepsy.
Ann Neumayer, MD, suggests that giving too many supplements can be harmful as well as giving too few.
The immune system dysregulation during pregnancy may lead to or exacerbate neurodevelopmental conditions such as autism.
New technologies and methodological approaches are starting to elucidate the relationship between DNA and complex human behavior.
Children with an autism spectrum disorder often have a different sensory profile than those without, and they may wander because of an overreaction to sensory stimulation such as noises or smells.
Objective measures of autism symptom severity are necessary to accurately diagnose autism and measure the effectiveness of treatment interventions.
Special education resources appear to play a significant role in early diagnosis of ASD.
Those taking atypical antipsychotics also showed a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Previous studies finding a link between antidepressants and autism may have actually been finding a link between autism and maternal depression itself.
Researchers find that anterior cingulate cortex part of the brain is responsible for decision making on whether to cooperate with another person.
Autism patients with a genetic disorder given insulin-like growth factor-1 saw improvements in social behavior.
Having any kind of pet in the home can help children with autism develop social skills.
Peer-led interventions can significantly reduce anxiety, depression and stress in parents of children with disabilities.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- #MeToo: Helping Victims Cope With Sexual Harassment
- Association Between Psychosis and Development of Dementia in Older Men
- Clinician Insight: Exploring the Link Between Bipolar Disorder and Binge Eating Disorder
- Phonemic Verbal Advantage in Mild Cognitive Impairment May Predict Risk for Alzheimer Disease
- Psychosis Could Be a Potential Side Effect of Steroid Treatment in Kids
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Nutritional Influences on Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Old Challenges and New Directions in Managing Tardive Dyskinesia
- Early Intervention Strategies for Bipolar Disorder: Clinical Dilemmas and Directions
- Similar Rates of Childhood Trauma in Schizophrenia and Substance Use Disorders
- Psychiatric Comorbidities Increase Neurologic Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Self-Regulation Interventions Beneficial for Children
- Traumatic Brain Injury Associated With Increased Risk for Dementia
- Adverse Neurodevelopmental and Mental Health Outcomes in PCOS
- Depression and Sleep Disturbances: Common Bedfellows