autism spectrum disorders
These findings may prove valuable in counseling families about the likelihood of disease recurrence in subsequent offspring.
Psychiatrists should think beyond traditional models of therapy when looking to engage patients with ASD.
Dixdc1 knockout mice demonstrated behaviors suggestive of depression, anxiety, and impaired social behavior.
Investigators examined functional connectivity between the amygdala and the mPFC, bilateral temporal lobe, striatum, thalamus, cingulate cortex, and cerebellum in children diagnosed with autism and age-matched control participants.
While past studies have shown that younger siblings with an affected older sibling are at higher risk of autism, these findings have not been evaluated in a large, racially and ethnically diverse population.
These results are contrary to results from a prior large population study.
The longer autism spectrum disorder insurance mandates remained in place, the more that mandate-associated treated prevalence increased.
In vitro assays hold promise as diagnostic tools in complex neurodevelopmental disorders such as autism.
The results indicate a 10-fold increased risk of future autism in patients diagnosed with epilepsy.
Ann Neumayer, MD, suggests that giving too many supplements can be harmful as well as giving too few.
The immune system dysregulation during pregnancy may lead to or exacerbate neurodevelopmental conditions such as autism.
Children with an autism spectrum disorder often have a different sensory profile than those without, and they may wander because of an overreaction to sensory stimulation such as noises or smells.
The research represents the first general population study of assortative mating in psychiatric disorders.
The combination of maternal obesity and diabetes was associated with a greater risk of autism in children than either obesity or diabetes alone.
The "social" part of the brain is underdeveloped in children with autism.
No infant monkeys given vaccines with or without thimerosal developed symptoms of autism.
Children saw improvements in response speed, working memory and motor ability after playing Makoto arena over 30 sessions.
Girls tended to have less-severe repetitive and restricted behaviors.
Although people with a high number of autistic traits may have fewer creative ideas, the ones they come up with are more unique.
Young adults who completed 16 weeks of the PEERS program also saw improvement in empathy and responsibility.
Autism spectrum disorder often overlaps with other similar developmental disorders.
Researchers find that unlike typically developing children, most kids with autism fail to adjust their sniffing to stinky odors.
Apraxia, which is characterized by difficulty in coordinating the tongue, lips and mouth to make speech, appears to be common in autism.
Autistic-bred mice fed diets with a low glycemic index (fruits, vegetables and whole grains) saw a reduction in autistic behaviors.
Twenty male children are to be enrolled in a phase 1 trial that will test the effectiveness of antimicrobial drug suramin in treating autism.
An intensive, one-on-one therapy that can begin as soon as a toddler is 18 months old shows more improvement in autism symptoms that standard treatment.
Children also more likely to develop autism if they are born to teen moms, older parents, and if parents have large age gap between them
Lower-functioning children with autism had higher levels of the stress hormone cortisol than higher-functioning peers with the disorder.
The "Sensory Lounger" is a normal looking chair but with inflatable cylinders that apply deep-touch pressure, which soothes those with autism.
Based on ongoing Swedish study of twins, 1% of them met criteria for autism in recent years, though national health registry shows larger increase.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Risk for Adverse Outcomes With Antidepressants in Dementia
- Chronic Alcohol Use Disorder Symptoms Occur Regardless of Social Status
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Buprenorphine, Methadone Combined With CNS Depressants May Lead to SAEs
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in HIV-Associated Depression
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress