The CDC estimates that one in every 110 U.S. children have an ASD. Learn more about how to recognize signs and symptoms with this slideshow.
Parent-mediated pivotal response treatment using a humanoid robot may be effective for reducing ASD-related symptoms in young children.
There are currently no approved pharmacological treatments that address these core symptoms of ASD.
Autism was associated with changes in the plasma protein content of certain advanced glycation end products and oxidation adducts.
A reduced risk for autism spectrum disorder in offspring was associated with maternal use of folic acid and mutlivitamin supplements.
Relationship Between Neuroanatomic Abnormalities and Behavioral, Cognitive Impairment in Individuals At Risk for ASD
In groups that are at high risk for autism spectrum disorder, neuroanatomic abnormalities are common.
There was a 2.41% prevalence of autism spectrum disorder among US children and adolescents in 2014-2016.
Multivitamin supplementation during pregnancy is tied to a reduced risk of autism spectrum disorder with intellectual disability.
Children with ASD do not benefit from the use of nutritional supplements or dietary therapies for children with ASD, according to researchers.
Risks of ASD are strongly associated with antidepressant use before conception and may be linked to psychiatric disorders in the mother.
Infants at risk for autism do better if therapists train parents to communicate more effectively.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Sertraline Effective for Treating Depression in Vascular Cognitive Impairment
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Ketamine-Induced Dissociative Symptoms Predict Antidepressant Response
- First Nonopioid Drug Approved for Managing Opioid Withdrawal Symptoms
- Review Examines the Effectiveness of Antidepressants for Insomnia
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Antidepressant Use May Be Linked With Sustained Risk for Weight Gain
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Family History of Psychiatric Disorders an Important Predictor of Postpartum Psychiatric Illness
- Increased Risk for Type 2 Diabetes in Adolescents, Young Adults With ADHD
- Worse Cognitive Outcomes Associated With CMV Antibodies Following ART for HIV