The CDC estimates that one in every 110 U.S. children have an ASD. Learn more about how to recognize signs and symptoms with this slideshow.
Although these tools are only for research at the moment, they lay the foundation for what may become accessible, affordable, and scalable tools for the early identification of autism and other childhood developmental disorders in the future.
Parent-mediated pivotal response treatment using a humanoid robot may be effective for reducing ASD-related symptoms in young children.
There are currently no approved pharmacological treatments that address these core symptoms of ASD.
Autism was associated with changes in the plasma protein content of certain advanced glycation end products and oxidation adducts.
A reduced risk for autism spectrum disorder in offspring was associated with maternal use of folic acid and mutlivitamin supplements.
Relationship Between Neuroanatomic Abnormalities and Behavioral, Cognitive Impairment in Individuals At Risk for ASD
In groups that are at high risk for autism spectrum disorder, neuroanatomic abnormalities are common.
There was a 2.41% prevalence of autism spectrum disorder among US children and adolescents in 2014-2016.
Multivitamin supplementation during pregnancy is tied to a reduced risk of autism spectrum disorder with intellectual disability.
Children with ASD do not benefit from the use of nutritional supplements or dietary therapies for children with ASD, according to researchers.
Risks of ASD are strongly associated with antidepressant use before conception and may be linked to psychiatric disorders in the mother.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence Associated With Poorer Mental Health Outcomes
- Cardioprotective Treatment May Reduce Adverse Effects in Schizophrenia
- Minocycline vs Routine Care for Clinical Symptom Improvement in Schizophrenia
- Insomnia in Borderline Personality Disorder May Increase Suicide Risk
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- Heart Rate Variability Predicts Treatment Response in Anxious Depression
- Impulsivity in Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD
- Psychotropic Medication May Reduce Symptoms and Improve Functioning in PTSD
- Social Decline a Predictor of Conversion Outcome in High-Risk Individuals
- Buprenorphine/Samidorphan Helpful in Refractory Depression