AUGMENTIN CHEWABLE Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Amoxicillin, clavulanic acid (as potassium); 125mg/31.25mg lemon-lime flavor; 200mg/28.5mg cherry-banana flavor, contains phenylalanine; 250mg/62.5mg lemon-lime flavor; 400mg/57mg cherry-banana flavor, contains phenylalanine; chew tabs.
Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for AUGMENTIN CHEWABLE:
Susceptible infections including sinusitis due to β-lactamase producing organisms, otitis media, lower respiratory or skin and skin structure infections, UTIs.
Take with meals. Base dose on amoxicillin component. Due to clavulanic acid component: two 250mg tabs are not equivalent to one 500mg tab; also, the 250mg tab and the 250mg chewable tab are not interchangeable. May use 125mg/5mL or 250mg/5mL susp in place of 500mg tab; or 200mg/5mL or 400mg/5mL susp in place of 875mg tab. Severe infections or respiratory tract infections: 875mg every 12 hrs or 500mg every 8 hrs. Others: 500mg every 12 hrs or 250mg every 8 hrs. Renal impairment: CrCl<30mL/min: do not use 875mg tabs. CrCl: 10–30mL/min: 250–500mg every 12 hrs. CrCl<10mL/min: 250mg–500mg every 24 hrs; hemodialysis: give additional doses during and after dialysis.
Take with meals. Base dose on amoxicillin component. <12 weeks: 30mg/kg/day in 2 divided doses every 12 hrs (use 125mg/5mL). ≥12 weeks: Twice-daily regimen: use 200mg/5mL or 400mg/5mL. Three times daily regimen: use 125mg/5mL or 250mg/5mL. Less severe infections: 25mg/kg/day in 2 divided doses every 12 hrs or 20mg/kg/day in 3 divided doses every 8 hrs. Others: 45mg/kg/day in 2 divided doses every 12 hrs or 40mg/kg/day in 3 divided doses every 8 hrs. ≥40kg: see Adult dose.
History of Augmentin-associated cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction. XR: Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min) or hemodialysis.
Cephalosporin, imipenem, or other allergy: not recommended. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function in long-term use. Hepatic dysfunction. Mononucleosis. Elderly (consider monitoring renal function). Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Broad-spectrum penicillin + β-lactamase inhibitor.
May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln. Probenecid potentiates amoxicillin. May potentiate oral anticoagulants (monitor). May antagonize oral contraceptives.
Diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, rash, urticaria, vomiting, vaginitis; anaphylaxis.
XR tabs—28, 40; Tabs 250mg—30; Tabs 500mg, 875mg—20; Susp 125mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL—75mL, 100mL, 150mL; Susp 200mg/5mL, 400mg/5mL—50mL, 75mL, 100mL; Chew tabs 125mg, 250mg—30; Chew tabs 200mg, 400mg—20; Susp ES-600 600mg/5mL—50mL, 75mL, 100mL, 125mL, 150mL, 200mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children