attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
Patients with comorbid bipolar disorder and ADHD may benefit from methylphenidate treatment, if it can be done without incurring the risk of mania.
Investigators used decomposition methods to examine the relative importance of genetic and environmental components to the burden of ADHD.
These findings are important, as CDC rank alcohol-attributable mortality as the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
Investigators developed a test [The Test of Playfulness (ToP)] in order to examine children's play skills in peer-to-peer play interactions.
Neuropsychological findings indicate that similar executive functions are affected in ADHD and OCD, but new neuroimaging data indicate differences exist in brain structure and function.
Children with ADHD may adapt more poorly to changing positive reinforcements compared with typically developing children.
For some people, symptoms of ADHD do not emerge until after childhood.
Adolescents with major depressive disorder who also had ADHD were 1.5 times more likely to develop bipolar disorder than those with depression only.
ADHD is often found in patients complaining of other illnesses, yet the former often goes untreated in those circumstances.
Study found that more than 40% of patients whose score indicated they might have ADHD are diagnosed as not having the disease.
Having off levels of the neurotransmitter dopamine, responsible for reward in the brain, may play a role in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
Patients who had not received any stimulant medication had lower brain iron levels compared with a control group.
While hundreds of studies of medication treatment for ADHD has been conducted, there is almost no research on exercise as an ADHD treatment.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder