Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
Children and teens who used stimulants for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder had lower bone mineral content and bone density than nonusers.
Patients with comorbid bipolar disorder and ADHD may benefit from methylphenidate treatment, if it can be done without incurring the risk of mania.
Investigators used decomposition methods to examine the relative importance of genetic and environmental components to the burden of ADHD.
These findings are important, as CDC rank alcohol-attributable mortality as the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
Investigators developed a test [The Test of Playfulness (ToP)] in order to examine children's play skills in peer-to-peer play interactions.
Neuropsychological findings indicate that similar executive functions are affected in ADHD and OCD, but new neuroimaging data indicate differences exist in brain structure and function.
While there is no cure for ADHD, currently available treatments such as medication, psychotherapy, education, or training can help reduce symptoms and improve functioning.
Children with ADHD may adapt more poorly to changing positive reinforcements compared with typically developing children.
For some people, symptoms of ADHD do not emerge until after childhood.
Study is first to investigate the influence of relative age on ADHD diagnosis and treatment in an Asian country.
Clinicians should realize the potential harm ADHD medications may pose to maturing bones, and consider nutritional counseling.
From 1981 to 1997, time spent teaching 3- to 5-year-olds letters and numbers increased 30%.
Both scales yield moderate sensitivity for diagnosing ADHD in children and adolescents.
Telepsychiatry could help with the major shortage of psychiatrists in the US.
Findings are contrary to suggestions that the most severe misuse of Adderall is among older children.
Although not usually considered as part of primary treatment, nutrition addresses the crucial link between food and brain functioning.
Preemies may possess elevated levels of characteristics that put them at risk for peer victimization, including more anxiety and depression.
The risk increased with longer follow-up, was greater in males and was particularly associated with olanzapine.
Lumos Labs, the creators of Lumosity, will pay $2 million to settle Federal Trade Commission charges.
Children with ADHD had weaker connections between three brain networks than children without the condition.
A new analysis suggests that 5.8 million U.S. children between the ages of 5 and 17 currently have ADHD.
QuilliChew ER is the first long-acting, chewable methlyphenidate treatment for ADHD.
Review highlights need for long-term, large, better-quality randomized trials.
The researchers found that both methylphenidate medications like Ritalin and amphetamines like Adderall cause sleep problems.
Kids With ADHD are twice as likely to face bullying than peers who don't have the condition.
Treatment with methylphenidate was associated with an improvement in PTSD symptoms and fewer cognitive complaints in those with TBI.
Impulsivity underlies some types of ADHD, as well as substance abuse.
A case study involving a 38-year-old woman with a history of ADHD seeks counseling for treatment of the condition during a pregnancy.
However, about three out of four children with ADHD in foster care received some psychological treatment.
Less than 25% of adolescents who are bullied every receive appropriate help.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder