Generic Name and Formulations:
Antithrombin (recombinant); 1750 IU/vial (approx); pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Indications for ATRYN:
Prevention of peri-operative and peri-partum thromboembolic events in hereditary antithrombin deficient patients.
Base dose on pretreatment functional antithrombin activity and body weight. Initiate before delivery (peri-partum use) or about 24 hrs before surgery (surgical patients). If pregnant and undergoing surgery other than C-section, use peri-partum dose regimen. Give loading dose as 15 mins IV infusion, then maintenance dose by continuous IV infusion. Monitor antithrombin activity once or twice daily and adjust to maintain antithrombin activity between 80% and 120% of normal. May give another bolus dose if antithrombin activity is <80% immediately post-procedure (use most recent antithrombin activity data to calculate dose). Thereafter, restart maintenance dose at the same rate of infusion as before the bolus. See literature.
Goat or goat milk protein allergy.
Monitor other anticoagulants closely (eg, aPTT, anti-Factor Xa activity), especially when starting or stopping therapy. Monitor patients for bleeding or thrombosis. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Potentiates heparin, low molecular weight heparins. May be affected by other anticoagulants.
Hypersensitivity reactions, infusion site reactions, hemorrhage.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Suicide Attempt Risk Among LGB Populations Higher Than Previously Estimated
- Residents Should Take Advantage of Paid Time Off
- Outpatient Engagement May Lower Suicide Attempts in Patients With Fibromyalgia
- Prevalence of Alzheimer Disease, Related Dementia Set to Double
- Forms of Childhood Adversity Related to First-Episode Psychosis Outcomes